Savage Axis .308 in MDT Chassis

Tido

Inactive
Just completed the Axis build in an MDT LSS chassis. At 100 yards it performed sub moa, have yet to take it to the 500 yard line to really see how she does. Have seen several post on people looking for upgrades to the Axis, so heres what I have so far.

Savage Axis .308
Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP Scope
Oversized bolt knob
MDT LSS chassis
Timney Trigger, set at 3 pounds
XLR Industries Tactical Light Buttstock

2088itk.jpg

2wr0rv4.jpg

e8pohi.jpg

2i95a1e.jpg

2i8uecn.jpg

SWEET bang stick.

I just got a Moss MVP LS that uses that chassis. How do you like that stock? I tried a Magpul PRS stock attached with the MDT adaptor but the LOP was ridiculously long. Like impossible to get anywhere close to the eye relief on the scope.

I see your setup does not use the adaptor, is your stock straight onto a rifle length tube?

Any chance you can measure the LOP given by that setup?

Thanks

Originally I was going to go with the MVP but then I wanted to do something with the Savage Axis that few have done (given that its only a $300 rifle). Some would say its a waste of money but so far this thing has shot the same results as the higher end rifles at 100 and 200 yards....beyond 200 yards has yet to be tested.

And yes the stock goes straight into the chassis and is locked down by a set screw and the castle nut. I wanted to get the PRS stock but like you said, that adapter is just ridiculous. The XLR stock I have on there now has an adjustable LOP from 12- 15 inches, just loosen 2 screws and adjust then tighten. Also has adjustable cheek rest and recoil pad. Ever since I heard about XLR stocks, I have never used anything else on my bolt action rifles.

Thanks for the info.

I was REALLY disappointed by the adaptor/PRS combo. I dont know how a Human could possibly crawl up the stock far enough to get into the eyebox of a scope. I even threw a cantilevered AR mount on backwards, just to see if THAT would work...nope.

I will order one of those stocks...it looks perfect.

Nice job!!!!

Thanks and yea I agree with you on the poor adapter they created. XLR Industries has 5 or six stocks to choose from I believe, all have adjustable LOP and most have the ability to easily mount a monopod. They have a really nice one for $225 that I originally wanted but they were out of stock and didnt want to wait. http://www.xlrindustries.com/ theres the link, there are other sights that sell the stocks, they are all the same price but its less of a hassle ordering online then it is to call XLR and wait for a reply to order. I ordered 3 stocks from http://www.shoretactical.com/index.php Let me know if you have any other questions and in the mean time, have fun at the range!

SWEET!!!!

Tido That is a really nice looking Savage. I can't tell though is that a field barrel or the heavy barrel? I just bought the same gun but with the heavy barrel and was interested in picking that chassis up for mine. I then started searching and found this link and I am sure I want that chassis now. Do you know do they consider the 308 a short or long action? Did you have to do any modifying for this to fit that chassis? Thanks for any response and have fun with that Savage. Very nice!

Back