Savage Axis .223 Free bore Length

Jim567

I have a new Savage .223 Axis.
I would like to know what the free bore length is.
.0566?
So much conflicting info out there.
Emailed Savage but no reply.

Full length size a fired case, drop a long and heavy bullet in it backwards, chamber it then close the bolt on it.

Remove the round then measure the distance the bullet's heel is from the case mouth. The freebore will be a few thousandths more than that dimension for that bullet diameter.

SAAMI spec freebore is .025".

Google a search for chamber dimensions.

Last edited:
The other option is a chamber cast.

The nominal dimensions of the freebore will vary between the acceptable range set by Savage.

But you will have to measure.

Jimro

Thanks Guys.
Savage hadn't been answering any requests on chamber specs so far for me.
I had bought some ammo advertised as .223 but it was in fact 5.56 NATO.
Fired 100 rounds through the Axis before I realized it.
No pressure or accuracy issues.
I need to measure before I continue.

Savage *can't* answer. They're not going to know any better than anyone else. They could give you a guesstimate but no one knows the exact number of your gun.

It's exceedingly unlikely that your chamber approaches Wylde free-bore length. That would be 2-3x longer than typical .223 Rem.

There have been untold millions of arguments about the differences between .223 and 556. What it comes down to is that they are interchangeable under many (most) circumstances but there could be issues under specific conditions. Those issues are related to throat angle and free bore length.

You've already fired 100 rounds of that ammo. It doesn't seem like there's any issue with it in your gun.

All Savage Axis barrels, regardless of cartridge chamber, are the same diameter in that critical area. I've read many times this is significantly overbuilt for .223/5.56 and I'm not at all worried about shooting 5.56 in mine.

I have never researched an issue more controversial than the 5.56 in .223.
I tend to come down on Mike 1234s thought.

The AXIS action will handle up to 30-06 so --

Again, no signs of high pressure and accuracy is good in mine, manufactured 2014.

I have ALOT of 5.56.

Handling a different cartridge really isn't the issue though. The max pressure of the .30-06 is only about 5,000psi higher than the max for .223/556. Several smaller bullet diameter cartridges are higher pressure. .270Win, being rated at 65,000 psi and based on the .30-06 case is one example.

The problem is when something causes those rated pressure to be far exceeded. It's unlikely to happen in the circumstance that you dictate, but it's not a matter of "well it can handle this cartridge", it's a matter of "Well, it can handle 100,000psi" when something goes horrendously wrong.

Thanks Brian

I knew 30-06 wasn't the highest pressure round the Axis is chambered for.
I got Lazy and just quoted the biggest.

Note I am not qualified to give anyone advice on the issue.
Only to report my experience.

I had bought some ammo advertised as .223 but it was in fact 5.56 NATO.
Fired 100 rounds through the Axis before I realized it.
No pressure or accuracy issues.
I need to measure before I continue.

Why? As long as you keep using that lot of ammo you are fine. You have 100 data points that tell you 5.56 pressure ammunition performs just fine in your rifle.

Odds are that any ammo that is actually in spec for 223 or 5.56 will be just fine in your rifle.

Jimro

Savage came back with an answer.
Chambers are SAMMI specs for .223.
Don't shoot 5.56 Nato.
Course I expected that.

Back