Savage Arms Westpoint Model 487T info???

capflyboy05

Alright, I cant find info on this rifle ANYWHERE.
Google, NOWHERE.
Any ideas or suggestions?
I can post a pic if you'd like.
But it is pretty much a marlin 60.
Just a different name.

No, but those rifles aren't exactly "collectors items", but you could try contacting Savage with the serial number to see if they have any idea.

In my experience they shoot plenty good. My grandfather had a Springfield 87 (now my father has it) and it is every bit as fun to shoot as a Marlin 60.

Jimro

Plenty good????? lol.
I put 130 rounds through her today.
Not a single jam or stovepipe.
I was making 2 in. groupings @ 50 yds.
My first .22 and I love her.
I feel like shes one of the guns that you have to name. :)

You know I don't know what it is about old 22s that seem to shoot really well, maybe we just expect them to be worn out with age, but most of the time any 22 that has had even sporadic cleaning and maintenance will shoot tight with the best of new production rifles.

I bought an M44 training rifle at a gun show and it shot so tight I couldn't justify keeping my Savage Mk1 FVT.

Anyways congrats on falling in love with a good old rifle.

Jimro

I have 2 Springfield 87's and I love them both. I just recently bought the second one for my wife to shoot since she prefers iron sights.

I have a 4x16 BSA illuminated scope on my first one and back when I had the time to shoot every week, I could do under 2" groups at 100 yards rested but not sandbagged...

These are great rifles and they sell for much less than they're worth...

Tony

Yeah, mines amazing.
I was torn between a 3-9 x 32 scope or a BSA Red Dot.
I figured a good old scope would look much better.
I've only gotten to do 2 in. groupings at 50 yds sand bagged.
She's just a special gun.
I'm glad others feel the same way.
She has a while to go with me, since I just turned 18 in Dec. :) lol

I was just a lad of 26 when I bought mine and I've had it for more than 26 years now. :D

It came with a cheap 3-9x32 on it and I swapped that out for a nicer 3-9-40x. Last December I bought a .22 k Hornet with the BSA scope and I liked it so much that I bought the 6-24 illuminated mill dot scope for the Hornet and I rolled the other scope down to my model 87...

I also got the scope new off eBay for half the retail price. It was such a good deal I bought another one even before I knew what I was going to put it on...

Tony

Here's some info...

Springfield
Models 187 and 187TS,
.22 Caliber Semiautomatic Rifles

Stevens
Models 80, 88 and 887

Golden West
Model 781DL

Hiawatha
Model 587

Revelation
Models 135 and 160

Sears
Model 2200

Westpoint
Model 487T

RECALL: To the owners of the .22 caliber semiautomatic rifles listed above:

Recently we learned that there is a remote possibility that these rifles might fire while on "SAFE". To our knowledge, no one has been injured as a result of this condition. However, to avoid the possibility of an accident, we are recalling these rifles for inspection and correction of this condition, if necessary.

If you have one of the models listed above, and if its serial number is:

B256621 or higher
C000001 or higher
B000001 or higher

Unload the rifle, package it carefully, and return it via UPS to:

Stevens Rifle Inspection Program
Springdale Road
Westfield, MA 01085
(413) 562-7764

Your rifle will be inspected, adjusted and returned at no charge to you.

Source:

AFTE Journal, January 1982; Volume 14, Number 1:6

Savage 487T

So, I realize this thread is quite old, but Thanx Jimro for the schematic. Been a while since I've messed with my Dad's gun, but since his passing, it's now mine. I went to clean it last night and saw the barrel pins. Now I see that the schematic says only a gunsmith can install/reinstall the barrel. Glad I didn't have a punch the right size or those pins would have been laying on my bench! I cleaned it as best I could figure, but cleaning repeaters that don't allow the barrel to come off is a bit difficult, IMO. Maybe some pointers, or direct me to a thread/video that you know addresses proper cleaning techniques??

Back