Savage Arms 32 cal. Lever Action Rifle

wcyote

Inactive
I am trying to find out information on a gun that has been in my family for a long time. It is a Savage Arms lever action 32 cal. rifle. It has the patent date of 1893 on the barrel. Where do I find the serial number so that I can date it more accurately. Also any information I can gain would be appreciated. I am attaching one picture but can take more close-up pics if needed. Thank you for your help in advance.

I thought I attached a pic but it did not show up. Can anyone help me on doing this. I clicked on manage attachments and uploaded the pic but it did not attach. What am I doing wrong?

Likely a Savage 1895. Predecessor of the Model 99. SN should be on the underside of the receiver in front of the lever.
http://www.nramuseum.com/guns/the-g...s/savage-model-1895-lever-action-carbine.aspx
If it's a .32, it's probably a .32-40 Winchester. That'd be a guess though. The 99 came in .32-40 Ballard too. Blue Book claims it only came in .303 Savage(that's not a .303 at all. It uses a .308" bullet.). though.
There's an original manual on Gunbroker at $3.99. No bids.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/667476255

How large is your picture? Your typical cell phone picture is way to big for the attachment manager, you need to resize it before uploading.

OK. I found out more information on the gun. The serial number is 3425. It does have a shot counter on the side of the receiver. Here are some pics...I hope I got them small enough.

Attachments

• Sagage Lever Rifle.jpg
    Sagage Lever Rifle.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Savage Lever Patent.jpg
    Savage Lever Patent.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Savage SN.jpg
    Savage SN.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 136
Interesting. If I input the serial number on savage99.com, it says it's a 1895.
But supposedly all 1895's were 303. Re-barrel? Best guess is that it's a
1899, made early in the first year. Near zero finish, looks solid but well used.
That fore-end is kind of different--highly unlikely that it is original.

There is 32 stamped on the gun. It has a box of 32 caliber bullets with it so I am making a little bit of an assumption. I will be with my father in law tomorrow who knows a lot more about the gun.

I think it would be a safe bet that the stock on that rifle is either not original or has been heavily "modified".

Jim

If the gun is chambered in a .32 caliber cartridge it is NOT a Model 1895 Savage. It would be a Model 1899.

The 1895 was commercially available only in .303 Savage, with some military-style muskets made in .30-40 Krag.

"If it's a .32, it's probably a .32-40 Winchester. That'd be a guess though. The 99 came in .32-40 Ballard too."

The .32-40 Winchester and .32-40 Ballard are the same cartridge. Identical.

Ballard Arms developed both the .32-40 and the .38-55 rounds as target cartridges for their lever-action dropping block target rifles.

Winchester later adopted both cartridges for their lever-action repeating rifles, and thus the rounds became known as the .32-40 and .38-55 Winchester cartridges.

Neither the stock nor the forearm are original. They're much later replacements; my guess is 1950s.

The high comb on the butt stock makes me think that the rifle was once scoped.

I can't even begin to imagine why the "schnable" on the forearm looks like that. Hell it looks almost like a logger's peavey.

I just saw the serial number...

That makes this a LOT more interesting, as that is definitely a Model 1895 serial number, but it's certainly not an 1895 chambering.

wcyote, you say there's a box of .32 caliber "bullets," with it.

Do you mean actual cartridges, or just the bullet itself?

If the cartridge, could you take a picture of the cartridge and also the .32 marking on the gun?

I'm just wondering if this might not be an 1895 rechambered to a wildcat cartridge (.32 caliber bullet in a .303 Savage case) to salvage a worn-out .303 barrel.

Back