Savage 99E

Well folks I did it again. I had a few shekels saved up and couldn't turn down a 1962 vintage Savage 99E in .308. Wood is perfect, metal is 95-99%. I paid $550 for it out the door from a private party. To assuage my conscience I often ask Firingline Forum members of their opinion of the purchase. I intend to keep the gun and not turn it into a "safe queen". Any comments from any savage aficionados would be appreciated. software won't let me upload pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I expect you did alright, they're not making any more after all. My understanding is that the E s were later production variants with plain wood and not highly desired by those who do collect 99s religiously, but it sounds like you intend to use it and enjoy shooting it, so who cares. Congrats on your purchase.

I'd say five Benjamins and one Ulysses was a fair price for a high condition 99E.

It's not like you can order a new one from Western Auto, or Sears any more. :D

A few years ago I found a 99E in a pawn shop for $275 and bought it. Mine had a blonde hardwood stock with 20" barrel in 243 and had the magazine in the action instead of a separate magazine. But no round counter window.

I shot it a little and was offered $475 for it after I had refinished the stock a walnut color. I truly regret ever selling that gun. It was short and light and shot like crazy. Just anything you put in it shot under 2" groups. What a nice little gun it was.

I didn't like that it didn't have the defined panels on the sides of the action or the schnabel forend. In hindsight that was NOT a big deal.

Enjoy your rifle. And if it makes you happy you didn't pay too much. Money comes and goes. Rifles are forever.

Last edited:
I didn't like that it didn't have the defined panels on the sides of the action

Neither would I but, like you said, it's not a big deal. Many very high grade twin barrel shotguns lack them too. I think the op got a great deal on what appears to be a Model 99 rifle in excellent condition.

Thank s to all of you for your relies. I probably will look for a compact 2-7x scope for the 99. My only dilemma is what to hunt with this fall. I bought a pre-64 70 in .270 last year that needs to see the deer woods again.

Attachments

• IMG_3308.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 28
I probably will look for a compact 2-7x scope for the 99.

Did you ever consider a receiver sight in lieu of a scope for your classic lever-action rifle? Williams makes a nice one that I have mounted on more than a couple of my rifles.

It's hard to find a beater shooter for $550. You would have a time trying to find
a late production, Clip Mag. Hardwood stock in 60% condition for that money.
That is more than a fair price. A gun like that would start at $800 here.

Don’t be surprised if it is a sub-minute rifle. Savage 99’s are known for their world class accuracy for blue collar prices. You will love that gun but you can’t compare it to a bolt action and the complicated reservoir precludes taking it all the way down easily so stuff a rag down in the works to scrub the barrel so it doesn’t pollute the reservoir with barrel cleanings. Enjoy...><

I've got a 99F in .308, the fellow I bought it off of says as the barrel heats up it tends to string shots... but that is not what I found, this thing is like a laser beam!

I have loaded some jacketed bullets in mine, but I bought it primarily to shoot cast. The integral magazine is a little sensitive to cartridge length... my 168grn BTHP Noslers were hanging up, but I don't have that problem with anything else.

I mounted a Williams peep on mine, it works fantastic.

99 4th from the left...

dqykfhol.jpg

Model 99s in 308 Win bring a premium around here as the 300 Sav is very common. $550 would be a very fair price here. Good luck with your Savage.

Got one just like it. Only mine is in 300 sav. Best tote lever for the woods ever made in my opinion. (Es are)
Congratulations on spending your hard earned Geen Backs on a ever increasing in value long gun. "good trade sir"

I can't thank all of you "old timers" enough. I think I'll just tuck this 99 under my jacket and wait in my favorite deer woods this fall. It's not always about killing the deer but getting alone under a southern hardwood and wondering what the old days were like.

Back