Savage 99E manufacture date help please

72gator

I recently purchased a Savage 99E in .308 Win. The serial number is A837xxx. The gun shoots incredibly well and I am pleased to say the least. I have been wanting one for about 10 years. Anyway, as a follow up question; can the trigger be adjusted easily or should it be taken to a gunsmith? There is a little creep that could be cleaned up. Thanks for any and all info.

Joe

The trigger has no adjustment. The mating surfaces (easily seen with the buttstock off)(big screw under buttplate) can be CAREFULLY honed and polished to smooth the pull, but trying to lighten it is unwise.

From my book on Savage 99 there are no manufacturing dates past 1950. They do state that the later E models were produced from 1961 thru 1984. There is one trick to lighten the pull of a 99. The courseness can be honed till all mated surfaces are smooth. If I recall corectly to lighten the trigger pull of a 99 you remove the buttstock and remove the screw that holds the trigger spring, then you install a small thin washer between the frame and the spring and reinstall the screw. This should lesson the tension on the spring and lighten the pull. Check with other Savage collectors first as it has been many years since I have done this and my memory isnt what it used to be, and it used to be terrible.

Well, I honed on the mated parts with a Dremel. It took a good chunk of time, being very careful not to over do it. It did a better job than I had hoped, and really cleaned the creep up in the trigger. I can not see any way to lighten the pull, but that is fine because it's not that hard. Thank you Brandy and Remchester for your replies and insight. Still wondering about the manufacter date. I am thinking around 1970.

Joe

Back