Savage 99 tang peep sight

rebs

I have a Savage 99 and recently bought a Marble tang mounted peep sight for it. The sight post seems to move wiggle a bit when I touch it with my fingers, also the windage adjustment doesn't seem right when I turn it I feel a few clicks and then it moves without feeling the clicks then you feel the clicks again. Am I right is thinking this maybe a defective sight ?

More info needed !!

Rebs
It might help if you could if you could provide us the Marbles model number. I'll have to admit that I have only worked with Pedersolis, Lyman, Williams and TCs. They all have "some" common features. Is it possible that your adjustment threads may have worked against a lock? Then again, as usual you could contact them for tech. support . ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

It sounds defective to me - I've had several different models of Marbles tang peep sights over the years, and none of them exhibited those conditions.

I called Marble and spoke with a very nice lady there. She gave me an RMA number and said to send it in and they will fix it for me. She said it didn't sound right to her either.

Did you buy the sight new? Sounds defective to me but it appears they'll make it good.

A 99 with a tang sight? I appreciate your taste in rifles.

standard.jpg

Yes I did buy the sight new from Midway USA. It is a model 009840, it came with three screw in apertures. I had it installed by a professional gunsmith and also had him remove the standard rear sight and replace it with a dovetail filler blank. I am not sure if I had to remove the standard rear sight or not, I was thinking it might interfere with the new peep.

For future reference, if the rear bbl open sight's replaced with a folder, the rifle can easily be set up with dual zeroes - the bbl sights for a relatively short range (say, 75-100yds); the tang sight for some longer range (say, 150-200 yds).

The bbl sights can be used in case of a suddenly-presented shot; and it takes but a moment to fold the bbl rear sight & raise the tang sight (simultainously), if/when a shot @ a longer range appears.

Back