Savage 720

mellow_c

I had a chance to buy an old Savage 720 a few days ago. The stock was pretty worn but was not cracked, all the metal parts were also very worn but as far as I could tell everything was functioning properly.

The gun was on consignment from a woman who lost her husband and was selling off his collection.

It was priced at $200.00. I didn't see any engravings or interesting markings and it appeared to be a pretty plain shotgun with a fairly long barrel.

Today I decided I would buy it if it was still there.... but when I called to see if it was still there, they said it had been sold.

I know this model is similar to the Browning A5, and I'm interested in the way it functions.

I'm not really looking to spend more money on a new firearm, but I can't help feeling like I want to add a shotgun of this design to the safe.

Maybe I should be on the look out for another one. I think I remeber reading that Remington made a similar model.

Last edited:
$200 for a well worn 720 is kind of high, really.

The 720s were made in 12 gauge only, and were authorized copies of the Browning A5 (same with the Remington).

While certainly good shotguns, they didn't have the same appeal as the Remington and Browning versions, and don't command the same prices today.

During World War II the US Army purchase a significant number of 720s and used them for training fighter pilots and gunners in bombers. Some were also used in to guard military installations. There doesn't seem to be much indication that any actually saw combat, although some probably did.

I've only fired shotguns of this design a couple of times, and for someone used to a pump gun, it's a real eye opener. The long recoil action makes for some REALLY unique handling characteristics, as well as a pretty stout recoil impulse.

if you decide on the savage 720 try to buy two then you will have spare parts. i went that route with old double barrels many years ago as they were pretty cheap,but i ended up with quite a few turning into wallhangers with broken parts. eastbank.

I've done some searching on gubroker and a Remington model 11 might be the way to go if I decide to buy one. There appears to be more of them for sale than the Savage, and I don't think I'd care to pay the price for a browning. Maybe I'll run into a good buy at a loal store someday.

Thanks for the brief history Mike. The fact that this design was the first really successful semi auto shotgun makes it very interesting to me. Also seeing the way it operates has my attention. Throw in the fact that you can pick up a decent condition example for as much or less than a basic pump gun and I'm finding it hard to believe that I wont end up with one eventually.

Back