Savage 64 two shot close one extreme flyer

merbeau

I recently picked up a Savage 64 with bull barrel for a good price. I then purchased a trigger kit, Boyd's stock and Harris bipod and barrel clamp. The Boyd's stock is the Barracuda model and does not have any sling mounts for the bipod.

Took the rifle to the range using the bipod and a rear sand bag with 12 brands of ammo and found and it shot CC standard velocity at 0.75 inches at 50 yards and Aquila Super Match at nearly a one hole group.

Moved to 100 yards and loaded three shots into magazine and first two would shoot next to each other and the third would be 3 inches low and to the right. I then loaded four into the magazine and first three would be close and fourth low and to the right at 3 inches. The gun does not jam when using the magazine. Then loaded one round at a time without magazine and 3 shots went into a 0.75 inch group.

Does it seem the problem perhaps is the follower keeping the bullet a little high and perhaps it is being distorted going into the chamber on the last shot? Any suggestions what is occurring and how to fix it?

Thanks

Robert

Savage 64 single shot adapter

Thanks for the reply. That may indeed be an option and for the web link.

robert

I have a 10/22 17M2 barrel that is very thin, stretched in tension, and a fat tube filled with foam. It did two shots touching at 50y and then a flier, every time. But if I waited for the barrel to cool, two more holes touching.

"...gun does not jam when using the magazine..." Use the mag. You haven't mentioned when and how it is jamming.
"...three would be close and fourth low and..." Is most likely a bedding issue vs anything to do with the mag. Could just be ammo too. You do the "minor fitting Boyds says is required?
And a Savage 64 isn't a target rifle. Just getting it to group as well as it does isn't too shabby.
How are you using the bipod if there are no sling swivel studs? (Don't understand why you think you need one either, but that's not important.) That the clamp?

Clarrification

T.O.

I have provided three figures with figure 1 showing the Savage 64 configuration with the Boyd's Barracuda stock and the Harris bipod attached to a Harris barrel adapter. Figure 2 shows an up close picture of the barrel configuration. Notice the barrel is basically free floating and the gap between the barrel and forearm. I decided not to attach sling swivels to that thinner piece of stock. Fig 3 shows the group produced at 50 yards.

The barrel is a bull barrel and should not heat up after a few shots

I did not use my bedding tool on the stock given only one inch of the barrel is actually touching wood. I suppose that could be a problem.

Does anyone think that cutting a small piece of the magazine spring may be beneficial?

Thanks

robert

Attachments

• fig 1.jpg
    fig 1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 46
  • fig 2.jpg
    fig 2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 39
  • fig 3.jpg
    fig 3.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 42
Rimfire accuracy is a combination of several factors and sometimes flyers can't be tracked down easily. A case in point is that Ruger 10-22s have had first-shot flyers that I happened to track down to the fact that the bolt handle was pinching the firing pin on the first shot.

Your rifle's problem may be similar, but not caused by the operating handle. Perhaps it's caused by variations in upward pressure against the bolt.

When there are rounds in the magazine, they push upward on the bolt. After the last round in the magazine is gone, the bolt may not have the same vertical position (or forces) against the cartridge in the chamber.

Try shooting groups leaving at least one shot in the magazine.

JP

First thing to try is loose the Harris bipod and barrel clamp .
Try it off sand bags . I do not like the bipod that far out on the barrel .

Just in time

Thanks for the replies.

I am planning on going to the range this Wednesday. I have smoothed the magazine ramp using a dowel rod with some 400 grit sandpaper.

I can also try to shoot leaving the last round in the magazine (e.g., load 4 shoot 3).

I can also remove the Harris barrel clamp and bi-pod to see if that makes any difference.

thanks

Robert

One change

Just came back from the range. The first test was keeping everything the same except the ramp on the magazine was smoothed using a dowel rod and 400 grit sandpaper.

I loaded 4 rounds and fired two, then checked the target and both were 0.5 inches apart. Went back and fired the third round and got the flyer except it was up and to the left instead of down and to the right. Went back and fired the fourth shot and it went next to the first two.

Repeated the above test by moving the bi-pod as close to the stock as possible and saw similar results.

Repeated first test by removing bi-pod totally and saw similar results.

Robert

Using a bipod on a rifle barrel isn't the way to get the best groups. In fact, a bipod isn't as good as resting the forend on a front benchrest and the butt end on a bunny bag.

With light rifles, I tend to hold the forend down on the front bag from just behind the rest, applying enough force to be consistent. My sporter .22s have turned in sub-half-inch groups regularly at 50 yards in that manner...with target ammo.

JP

Distance

JP

Perhaps I may have mislead you. Figure 3 from my previous post was the group produced at 50 yards with the setup as depicted in Figure 1 which was less than 1/2 inch.

The issue with the flyer was after taking the rifle and shooting at 100 yards.

A three-shot group does not give enough information to be very helpful. I wrote a computer program once that would randomly print five simulated bullet strikes on a target to test if random chance could cause the bullet strikes to appear as a clustered "group". I found that: (1)The fewer shots = the more likely it was that the shots would occur as a tight "group". In other words, the more shots the better when it comes to figuring out how well you rifle is performing. (2) The more accurate the rifle, the more likely random chance was to be interpreted as shooting accurately.

Upwards pressure from the magazine isn't "on/off" it's a variable. More rounds in the mag, more pressure, less rounds less pressure.

Try single loading five shots, no bipod, off sandbags.

Jimro

Back