Savage 40 vs CZ 527 in .22 Hornet

Jason280

I've decided I want to add a bolt .22 Hornet to the collection, and have narrowed the choices down to the Savage Model 40 and the CZ 527. Which gun would you choose and why? I have a CZ 452 in .17HMR and absolutely love the gun, and wouldn't mind adding another CZ. Then again, both my 10FP's are extremely accurate guns, and I would expect the 40 to be the same.

So, which one should I get. Also, should I also throw the Ruger in the mix? Thanks!

I don't have a Savage to compare, ( or the Ruger for that matter )... but I happened upon a CZ lightly used, several years ago... just traded in on one of the 1st newly released Ruger 22 Hornets... I bought it on the spot, as I already had a good collection of CZ rifles, & didn't have the 22 Hornet... turns out the original owner of my used / new CZ was back in the store less than a week later looking to buy back his CZ, as it way out shot the new Ruger...

... that new Ruger was one of the 1st released, & maybe the later ones are more accurate, but I wouldn't count of the Ruger being more accurate than the CZ...

... I've heard the Savages shoot well, but you can normally count on much much better figured wood on a CZ rifle, than you would get on a Savage

Personally, just the thought of opening my gun safe and seeing that ugly Savage Mod 40 in with all of my fine guns gives me the heaves. Get the CZ. They are good shooters, and they actually look like someone intended to make a rifle, not a piece of plumbing attached to a wall stud.

Savage Not Too Bad

I just happened to have bought a Savage Model 40 a week ago. I traded an NEF Handi-Hornet for a new one and don't regret it so far. The NEF was a little too primitive (mainly the heavy trigger) for even what I wanted a Hornet for: to keep out in the barn or garage as a back-up for those "emergency" shots at a grounhog, coyote, etc. Big improvement. Nailed a 'hog through the head @ 80 yds. immediately after sighting it in, 2 more one-shot kills since. Seems to like the Federal Premium V-Shocks if you can find 'em -- more of a spire-ponted soft-nose than the Win.'s, etc. Put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X silver scope with glossy Rifleman rings (you have to use fairly high ones, even with a small obj. dia. if the scope isn't very long) and, even though it might sound gaudy to some, several have complimented the look. True, I coulda-shoulda bought a CZ in the first place for the same $ after buying the two others; live and learn.
If you can afford the CZ for about 150 bucks more, go for it. But the Savage shouldn't disappoint. Don't even consider any other than these two.

OK, my decision was made a little easier for me today. Picked up a like new Model 40 at the local gun show for $275, which included a Simmons Whitetail Classic 2-10x44 scope. I've all ready taken the Simmons off, and I'm going to mount a 6.5-20x44 Cabelas Alaskan Guide in its place. Should be a fun bench gun, and I may end up getting a CZ any way.

Trigger is excellent, and I really like the stock. Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but will be able to Monday.

Model4068bulletsringsetc001.jpg

Model4068bulletsringsetc004.jpg

Model4068bulletsringsetc006.jpg

Second That Opinion

Yep; not bad looking for a "wall stud with a piece of plumbing attached".
Looks like ya done pretty good, Jason.

I had both a ruger and the savage. The ruger I hated. I just couln't do anything with it. The savage shot well, but you kinda got to start the cartridge into the chamber. This really sucked if my fast shooting in the praire dog towns. Other than that, I didn't mind it. My pal has a cz in the 17 rem and I really like the gun. I could see getiing a cz in a hornet someday. More likely a fireball though. Good luck with your purchase.

Back