Savage 340 weird style scope help

bungiex88

I inherited a savage 340 222rem from my grandfather. It has a weaver side mount with a scope. I wanted to get a new scope for it because the Redfield that's on it is blurry. The problem is the scope can't have the bulge all the way around the tube where the turrets are. The bulge where the turrets are is only where the turrets actually are. Does anyone know what I'm talking about. I really didn't want to sink more money then I have to into this gun. Is there a manufacture that still produces a scope like this or am I going to have to find a different mount to use a regular scope.

Boy not exactly, I have a weaver mount on mine. I was able to mount a new Banner 1.5x4 on it.

100_8224.jpg

100_8225.jpg

100_8223.jpg

If you have some photos that would be helpful. Even if you do need to upgrade a mount. These are not too expensive and should fit the same holes.
The 340 is well worth it. very good gun.

Yea same mount as I have. A Banner will fit just fine.

I do reload for mine. A hunting load using Harnady 30-30 bullets and LeveRevolution powder Does real well. Primarily though I shoot my 30-30's as cast bullet rigs.

Ether the LEE C309-150-F or another 150gr fn bullet.
Both loads I have settled on 16gr of 2400 as my pusher. Like it so much I may never change it.

100_8045.jpg

100_8894_zps4c44d0e6.jpg

Well I have a cheap Bushnell scope that's basically new I can just buy a new mount for it that way I'm open to more scopes in future. The scope mount is beat up pretty bad.

You should just be able to take the old scope out and put the new scope in.

But even if you need too. Those are a two part mounts. The top part should have a number on it. just google the number and a bunch will present them selves.
That way you wont need to remove the part that is attached to the gun.

Mine is a 30-30 but I do know a few guys who have 340's in 222 and they like them very very much. That little gun will surprise you with what it can do.

The new aluminum version of the old stamped steel Weaver side mount fits the same receiver holes and takes Weaver rings. Buy the base that fits your gun and the top that fits your scope (long or short).

I changed to a Weaver side mount for my 22 hornet, otherwise I would have been limited to a 1/2 inch scope. Now I can use a 1 inch scope. I had to trim the stock a little to fit.

Back