Savage 340 bolt action 30-30?

Rusty S

OK, we aren't talking Mannlicher-Schoenauer (sp?) or pre-64 Mod 70.

But every now and then I walk by a gunstore rack with a clean used Savage bolt 30-30 for say $125.

I'm starting to feel like when I'd see a clean used S&W Mod 10 or Colt OP for about $125 a few years back.

So I don't have a use for it now. A couple of those for the cost of one new lever- action or three for the cost of a model 70 or 700. It could turn out a cheap rifle and a box of ammo there when you needed it was priceless.

So has anybody had experience with the old Savage boltguns in 30-30? Are they decent for what they are? They look to be homely but honest.

Rusty
You summed it up pretty well: "Homely but honest".
They are a bit heavy for the caliber as well.
You CAN use spitzer bullets with them, and improve ballistics slightly.
However, the 30/30 generally won't generate enough steam to work well with the heavier bullets intended for the 30/06+ class of cartridges.

------------------
Regards, Sharps.

Good enough. I already have a Savage mod. 24 22/20ga., a model 10 38 spl, and a Ruger Mark II 22 auto pistol and a Remington Nylon 66, all used but good and tight. Sounds like the right 340 Savage 30-30 may join them.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate fine rifles, but, maybe I'm getting a little blase. Or maybe I'm getting nervous about the politicians and *anything* with military connotations. Some of you probably have SKS's or No. 4 Enfields to fill the spot I see the 340 for. Me too, but the 30-30's not a military caliber.

Maybe a better way of putting it is that I have a Blackjack clone of a Randall #1. If a few hundred bucks dropped into my lap I think I'd get a half dozen K-bars first and then if there was still money left pick up a real Randall. BTW, I have a CZ 527 full stock 223 I'm waiting for rings for.

Were I you, I'd find a smith locally who had the 30-30 Ackley Improved chamber reamer, and I'd have him do the job. I'd get the RCBS dies for the Improved ctg, and then I'd be able to shoot just about any type bullet in that weapon without having to worry about damaged tips and possible compressed loads. The Ack Imp is good for about 200-300 more FPS over standard 30-30 loads and you can still shoot standard 30-30's in that chamber. A good way to fire form the cases for reloading.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. My 5th printing edition from 1970 of P. O.'s Handbook is getting pretty tattered, but does show a 150 grain slug at 2700 fps from less than a 22" barrel.

I had Atkinson rebore an 03A3 then chamber to a Brown-Whelan, using 270 cases for the extra length, necking up to 40, then down to 35, fireforming and blowing the case shoulder forward like with the 300 Win Mag, etc., etc.

It's one thing to go to all that trouble at age 25, another at age 50. Especially when the idea is for having several. Besides, factory ammo is too good terminally today.

Back