Savage 25 walking/lightweight varmint

SJCbklyn

Any input/ thoughts/comments on this gun?
Still undecided about a .223 bolt gun. Some stuff on the net and YouTube but not enough to base a decision on.

Sweet

One sweet rifle and a tack driver. Not saying their aren't better but the price is right, it's light and good enough to recommend ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Savage 25

I have the thumbhole model in .223. It's a sweet little rifle. Sure my Grendel surpasses it in almost every way, but I will absolutely NOT give that rifle up. I use it as a training rifle, for me because I can get ammo in relatively decent quantities, as virtually no recoil and can group 1 MOA with darn near anything I have put through it. Using 55gr. VMAX, hitting clay pigeon sized targets is boringly easy. I will say they don't have the ability to be customized as with a Remington 700 or Savage 10 or 12, but with it the way it is, I also see no need to put new stocks or chassis on it (which is saying a lot for me because I'm usually all about that).

It's very hard to beat any Savage for out-of-the-box accuracy.
"...they don't have the ability to be customized as with..." They do, but usually not with off-the-rack parts. Except for Boyd's $129.00 stocks. Specifically made for the Walking Varminter too.

Stock options

Except for Boyd's $129.00 stocks. Specifically made for the Walking Varminter too.
You have an option on the stock you want and one is a laminate thumbhole from Boyds. If you shoose to do so, you can buy this with the cheaper synthetic black or camo hunting stock. Then for the bench, go to the Boyds thumbhole. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Save your money. I had one of the first ones out and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough: heavy, over-priced, feeding/extraction and accuracy issues, etc. This week I'm picking up a new .223 C-Z 527 Varmint - I believe the "older"style with 24", 9-twist barrel - for about $100 more than the Savage cost. As a bonus, it's almost a "looker", with its nice walnut stock.

Sure like my .204Rs for varmint/predator hunting: accurate and so little recoil that you can see your hits through the scope. But, if I were doing coyotes-only in an area with a lot of them available, would probably go to a .22-250, or even a 6mm.

Back