Savage 24C Information

dlewis

Inactive
I was hoping to find some more information on a gun of a 76 year old friend that just passed. It is a Savage 24C, Series S with a stainless steel barrel. It is a combination gun - 22 long rifle over 20 Ga. The 20 Ga states it will take 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells.

The gun is in average to above average condition. The serial number is E113660.

Any information on the age and ball park value would be helpful.

Thank you.

Darin

As a guide only, the Standard Catalog of Firearms gives a value of 140 in Very good for the Savage Model 24S ( .22 over 20 guage).

RJay,

Thanks for the information.

Do you know how I can find out the approximate date of this based on the Savage serial number?

Also, is it common for a shotgun -- or combo gun in this case -- to have a stainless steel barrel?

Darin

Is this a 24C Camper's Companion in nickel with 20-inch barrels and space under the buttplate for 10 .22's and one 20 ga. shell?

Made from '72 to '88.
According to the 26th Ed. Blue Book:
95% condition = $400.
90% = $325.

Duh, at the bottom it says: "Model 24CS shipped with pistol grip stock also."

John

24C Series S

Thanks for the information. This may be what I have. It says 24C, series S. Do you think this one came with a pistol grip and a case for carrying when broken down.

Pictures at the following link -- login with user (no quotes) = "guest@changingskies.com" with a password of "savage24c"

http://portal.changingskies.com/Savage 24C/Forms/AllItems.aspx

(I haven't cleaned it since my friend passed - I don't think he did very often...)

Darin

Comparing the pics to the ones in the books I have, it looks like a nickel Camper's Companion to me. It has the right front sight, the right forend shape and what appears to be the correct 20" barrels.

Does the buttplate open for ammo storage? Oh, and be careful cleaning the nickel finish. Anything that removes copper can work its way under the nickel and eat the copper layer that's applied to the steel first to get the nickel to bond to the gun.

All I know about the pistol grip and gun case is what I've read in the books. Your gun appears to fit the description, but there's always a chance Savage sold that gun at some point without the accessories.

John

Butt Plate

John,

No, the butt plate does not open for access to ammo storage. When I removed the butt plate, there was a tube hollowed out - one 20 gauge shell would fit. The edge of the shell is flush to the stock but there would be room for 22 shells beneath the 20 ga shell. There is not a seperate hollowed out tube specifically for 22 shells. I suppose the butt plate could have been replaced...

Darin

Back