Savage 22lr/.410

Crash,

For the old model with the selector on the side, $0.02.

The ones with the selector on the hammer were better. Neither was any world beater for accuracy, reliability, or any other plus. The side selectors were always breaking and the ones with plastic stocks left pieces of stock lying about in the woods.

Still, some people used them a lot and liked them. If one fits your needs, pick one up at a gun show (they are usually pretty cheap).

Jim

Crash: I bought one last year for $40. I use it for my 'possum gun. This one had the side-selector but it was broken. I got parts from gunparts corp , they had a conversion kit to change to the "hammer selector", but I got the regular one (was cheaper). This gun is old as there was no serial number on it.

I mounted a 2-D cell mag light under the forend and shoot possums off my porch with it. It's an alright beater gun.

Blackie

I have an older 22lr/20 ga one which I acquired used. Selector is on the trigger and the release mechanism is the tang mounted lever. Wood furniture.

Looks nice, shoots fine and used it, along with the Chipmunk, to teach my nephews to shoot. It's a nice combo gun and about the only modification I would want to perform on it is to adapt the stock to hold extra shells.

Can't say anything about the quality of the newer ones though.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The one I'm looking at is very used and was originally purchased around the mid 1950s. It does have the selector on the side.

I'll bet I replaced hundreds of those side type selectors, some several times on the same gun, and I note AR BLACK said his was broken when he got it. The part is about $15-20 plus the gunsmith charges if you can't replace it yourself. A word to the wise.

Jim

Back