Savage 223 ?

rebs

I shoot mainly 100 to 300 yards target shooting with a limited amount of varmint hunting.
Which model of Savage in 223 would you guys recommend ?

My father bought his grand-daughter (my girl) a Savage model 11 "Kit". It has a scope already mounted. She just used it to shoot her first Pronghorn this year. Nice little rifle.

after my stroke, dad has somehow taken it:) , a savage model 12, accustock, accutrigger, in 223 rem, 300 yards is not a problem esp. with handloads

I have the Savage 12 FCV (accustock, accutrigger). I shot it for 2 years almost weekly long range at BOTW. I really recommend it.

69g match loads... shoots out to 750 very reliably. (although a bit difficult to see/hear the impacts as you need to see the splat on the plate vs watching for it to sway.) It falls subsonic at 850 or so, but I routinely shoot it to 1000, with very good results. They have a small plate (10" or so) at 1000 that I have hit 3/5 many times and 4/5 once.

Just moved to the 308 FTR (with 30" barrel and target weight accutrigger).

What about the Savage Axis, I have read some guys like it and some don't ?
I know I want the accu trigger and accu stock because a lot of guys recommend them. I just have to decide on a model that has those features. What about barrel length for shooting 100 to 300 yds, is that important ?

They show 9 options in .223 with accutrigger and stock. I like stainless. There are only two stainless. One is left handed. I don't want left handed. Viola, choice made. Accustock wouldn't mean much to me. I hate the cheap appearance and feel of Savage's black plastic stock. I'd get the barrel/action I wanted and order a pillar bedded stock from EaBrown or a similar non-pillar stock from Boyd's. I have one and it's very nice.

Further, if I were you and my budget allowed, I'd buy a Savage Competition Action for about $550 from Bud's, whatever stock I wanted and a semi-custom "pre-fit" barrel that was exactly what I wanted

However, I'm not you.

None of those guns will be bad or wrong for 300 yards. That's not long range. Speed (barrel length) won't matter.

Pick the one you like and buy it.

Model 12 FVSS-- accurate as can be. 60gn Hornady and 25.5 Varget with BR-4 primers. Put the crosshairs on it,pull trigger,That's where the bullet goes.

I have a couple of bolt guns in 223 caliber, by the way I love the caliber.

One of my 223 bolt guns just happens to be a Savage, model 10 that a distributor had made for them to sell.
It's pretty much the model 10 FP with a 20 inch heavy barrel large bolt handle, they called it a 4x4 truck gun.
The rifle shoots 5/16 inch groups at a 100 yards consistently with my 55 gr bullet handloads.

I like the caliber so much I've been thinking about adding another Savage bolt gun in 223 to my cadre .
There's three Savage models I'm considering.

Model 10 Predator Hunter Savage catalog # 18453

Model10 Predator Hunter MAX1 Savage catalog # 18886

Model 10FP-SR 223 22" LE Savage catalog # 19126

As for now I'm leaning more toward getting the third one down (#19126) as it will see more truck gun duty then anything else.

However the second one in the group (#18886) would be a sweet rifle to own except I would most likely convert it to a blind mag and get rid of The DBM.

Whichever, my next bolt gun will be a Savage unless I see something really special in the used category.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited:
Back