Savage 220 for H&R Ultra Slug... What would you use?

globemaster3

Savage 220 or H&R Ultra Slug... What would you use?

After spending oodles in sabot slugs and lots of time tinkering with a Mossberg 500 20 gauge with their trophy slugster barrel and Nikon Slughunter, I am considering going back to the drawing board and reinvesting in a dedicated slug gun and turning the Mossberg back into a dedicated bird gun.

I have looked around a bit at the offerings and these 2 are the finalists. I understand 2 different formats... single shot and bolt. However, I am interested in the accuracy these bring to the table over what I am currently shooting.

So, if given the choice, what would you pick?

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I've never owned their slug gun. However, if their slug barrels are as accurate as their rifle barrels, I'll take the H&R any day of the week. I wouldn't launch too many 3" magnum slugs out of one, though. I own a smoothbore single from H&R, and the 2 3/4" slugs are plenty of punishment for me.

2 years ago I was in your shoes, with a Mossberg 835. I searched over the options and ended up with a TC Encore Prohunter in 12 ga. They are 28 inch, fluted, blued or stainless
tcarms.com and the flex tech stock does what they advertise. 40% reduction in recoil. And I get great results from sabots. If you already looked at them, my apologies for this, but I love mine. It does come in 20 ga.

I have the Savage 220 and like the feel of it alot better than the H&R. My Savage is more accurate than me. I can almost make a clover at 50 yds. and about 2 1/2 inch 3 shot group at 100 yds.

My brother in-law liked mine so much, that he just bought one. He is waiting for his gun dealer to mount his scope now.

Back