Savage 1917 help (both .380 and .32)

AustinTX

Hi folks, I'm looking for some help on values for a couple of Savage 1917s. A lot of the info I've managed to dig up is from two or more years ago, and with the way prices for collectible guns have exploded in other areas, I don't know how much relevance that data holds. Thank you very much in advance for your help!

(1) What would you say would be the present average "going rate" for a 99% (appears unfired) 1917 in .32 ACP with a low three-digit serial number (2xx) and an average/poor condition box with some paperwork?

(2) How about for a 99% (appears unfired) 1917 in .380 with an average/poor condition box with some paperwork (and a serial number of 25xxxB, if that means anything)? The one I'm looking at looks exactly like the one in this photo (but is NOT this same gun):

Pictures pictures pictures. The problem with "unfired gun in poor condition box" is of course that it screams refinished. Most people don't tend to fondle the box for a century without touching the gun.

Pictures pictures pictures. The problem with "unfired gun in poor condition box" is of course that it screams refinished. Most people don't tend to fondle the box for a century without touching the gun.

Don't have any pictures, unfortunately. The guns are definitely not refinished, and they weren't stored in their boxes over the years; the conditions of the boxes and pistols/revolvers in this collection do not correlate with one another.

There's little point in my explaining how I know this to be the case -- I'm just looking for information based on an assumption that everything I've posted is accurate/correct. Thanks.

Last edited:
Guns in 100% condition would run about $500-600, but any wear would drop that off pretty quickly. An original box, in near perfect condition with the manual and papers might add as much as $200, but again, poor condition and missing papers would drop that to the $50 range, or even lower.

There is no way anyone here can determine condition of either a gun or a box without good pictures.

Jim

There is no way anyone here can determine condition of either a gun or a box without good pictures.

I realize that, but I'm not actually asking for anyone to determine the condition of anything. I'm just asking for approximate average-price information taking as accurate the description I provided -- which you did in your first paragraph, and which I appreciate.

Back