Savage 1911 ?

jski

I know there's a lot to unpack with this question BUT how does Savage's offering in this class (1911s) compare with Colt's? From S&W's? From Ruger's ?

Attachments

• Savage1911.jpg
    Savage1911.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 148
:eek:

The feature set looks good, and if they are reliable, that is a good price point.

Colt holds a mystique, and high price that I have never really been interested in, but no doubt the three interations have produced very good pistols. S&W is a bit meh, but I don't think that they are good enough to get one with the other choices on the market. When it comes to "value" production 1911s, Bul, Ruger and Dan Wesson usually get my suggestions based on price point and features.

If Savage really makes it (and not farmed out like many other companies) and they prove reliable in a few years, I might consider one.

based on the picture, is has most of the currently popular "bells & whistles" but fortunately no rails. For me. no rails is a plus. The "speedbump" and beavertail grip safety is a minus, for me, personally, and the ambi safety is a "meh"..for me. Don't care for the grips shown, either. Again, just personal preference.

Here's a question, does the gun take "standard" grips, or "proprietary" grips??

My son has one of the S&W 1911 pattern guns, and it won't take regular grips. The spacing of the grip screws is just enough "off" from USGI /standard Colt measurements that regular grips won't fit, and the gun must wear either S&W grips, or grips made for that S&W model gun.

The MSRP seems a bit steep, but then, today, everything is, and MRSP is hardly the set in stone price these days.

IMHO, much too new to have established a track record. I would wait.

Yes, I know Savage is an established company. So is Sig Sauer, and when Sig introduced a 1911 it was an unmitigated disaster. They tried tio blame it on Caspian (who made Sig's first generation slides and frames), but the second generation weren't much better. (And, curiously, when Caspian sold off the undelivered Sig frames and slides, none of Caspian's customers had any problem making them run.)

If Savage had made an updated version, materials mostly, of the guns submitted to compete with the Colt in the trials that lead to the 1911 I would be all over one. Not special enough to "just another 1911" to the stable.

I have a Savage .32 that could use a big brother...

I love 1911s, but still a little amazed that the platform is still so popular. Maybe it is the long association with the US Milittary, frequent use in the entertainment industry or maybe John Browning just designed the perfect handgun. I doubt I'll buy one from savage, but this just builds on the popularity of a classic.

Last edited:
IMHO, much too new to have established a track record. I would wait.

Yes, I know Savage is an established company. So is Sig Sauer, and when Sig introduced a 1911 it was an unmitigated disaster. They tried tio blame it on Caspian (who made Sig's first generation slides and frames), but the second generation weren't much better. (And, curiously, when Caspian sold off the undelivered Sig frames and slides, none of Caspian's customers had any problem making them run.)
I had an early Sig. Turns out that the barrel had been cut the wrong way--against the grain instead of with it. They installed a new barrel but it was a drop-in and has never shot as well as it did with the defective barrel. There was something else that was wrong, but I can't remember what it was. That experience helped me avoid doing beta testing of guns.

Still have the gun, but I haven't shot it in ages.

I only keep older Colts. On trades recently got a couple Ruger SR-1911s. A .45 & 10mm, these MSRP for $1200+ but can be found new $900- $1000 range. I was impressed with them….at the $900+ range. Then take in to consideration Springfield Armory 1911s starting in $600 range. Proven reliability and function. What do this Savage have to put it up in top drawer range. I would say they will eventually be sold at a price to compete with Ruger SR1911s or less. Everybody and their brother is stamping out 1911s. How many of these are coming out of same factory with different brands?

Back