Savage 1911

Savage making a 1911 variant?! Sweet butter Hay-Soos! I'ma gonna take a look at that. I love their rifles. Might have to consider one of those over a Ronin.

*click*....*click*....*click*.....FIFTEEN HUNDRED BUCKS??!!

Newp. No thanks. A Ronin is just over half that.

As good as Savage is, they need to prove to me their 1911 variants will stand the test of time before I dump $1,500 into theirs...especially when I can buy one with similar features and good fit/finish from someone that's been in the 1911 game for decades.

Jim Watson said:
I think Savage is positioning versus SA TRP or Vickers, and Colt Combat Elite.
I think Savage is smoking crack.

Some ten to fifteen years ago, Ithaca decided to jump into the 1911 market with a premium-priced pistol. I tested one -- it was a nice pistol, but it wasn't nearly nice enough to justify the price they put on it. Apparently the marketplace agreed, because Ithaca dropped out of the 1911 market very quickly thereafter.

Jim Watson said:
Still shows on Ithaca www
You're right -- it does.

I admit to being surprised. I used to attend the SHOT Show every year, until COVID (I went in 2020, didn't go in 2021 or 2022), and I always make a point of stopping at any booth that offers 1911s. And I do not recall seeing 1911s at the Ithaca booth.

Given the fact that $1500 is MSRP--and that also the market is already awash with a flood of 1911's--I suspect street prices will be under that.

It's also homely. I'm sure a few will find it attractive but by and large, I'll bet that most folks who like a 1911 pistol would say this one is not good looking. Large and loud billboard on the left side, awful thick serrations that are kinda Taurus-like and FCS too. Why not add a rail, those are always hideous. Haha wait, I see that ya did!

Yeesh.

off shore?

The logo and big serrations on the slide do seem unattractive, the model without the rail, two tone, looks a little better if I can get past the slide markings.

Who exactly is producing the pistols?

Until my two Rock Islands and my Sig C3 wears out I guess I will have to pass on a $1500 Savage. I barely have that much in all 3 of the 1911's I already have. For that much $$$ it should at least have adjustable sights and double stack magazine. All I see is a $400 plain old everyday 1911.

Last edited:
Back