Savage 1907

jgagatch

Inactive
I recently aquired a Savage model 1907. It is a 32 Cal.It is in fair condition, it has some issues but it seems to be in good working order and complete. It has a very low 2 digit serial number. Can anyone date the gun and estimate it's value. I found some info on the web. It differs from all the photos, mine has stamped tin grips, checkered with Savage logo, all other photos I see have plastic grips. Also this gun has a safety/slide lock lever with a bevel cut for thumb, all other photos show a knurled or checkered lever. This gun has been plated, chrome, I am sure it is not original and the plating is very worn, pitted.

Last edited:
Savage made 30 changes, over 12 different variations, to the .32 Model 1907 pistol alone, starting shortly after the first one was made on Apr 22, 1907 - finally making over 270,000 in 21 years.

I would place your pistol as being made in 1907.

The early/original models, of which a few thousand were made ( highest known SN = 867), had pressed steel grips and the small safety w/o the word's "safe" & "fire".

The grips proved slippery & unattractive, and the small safety hard to work, so they went first, replaced with hard rubber grips, a larger knurled safety with "fire" & "safe", and thicker magazine recess walls w/squared corners for strength.

If the finish is chrome, it is modern, but Savage did make that pistol with a nickel finish. The steel grips have one advantage, they won't break like the hard rubber (not plastic) ones often do when someone tries to remove them.

Jim

OK. I was able to date the gun to 1908, it was among the earliest version. I don't know for sure if it is chrome or nickel. The only other issue with this gun is the front sight ramp, it apparently broke off, was welded back on and ground down, done very crudely, not professional at all and not even centered on the slide. I am going to take it to Hyatts today, let them look at it.

Attachments

• savage 1907 001.jpg
    savage 1907 001.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 130
  • savage 1907 002.jpg
    savage 1907 002.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 105
Back