Savage 17hmr misfiring.

joeranger

OK, my bad. I didn't think I really needed to clean a bolt action gun, other than the barrel. I never even broke it down until it just stopped working.

So... I youtubed a video on cleaning and cleaned the heck out of it. Still misfires. It has been a reliable tack hammer but now it doesn't fire and the round sticks in the chamber.

Gunsmith? Clean it again?

"Misfire" sounds like a weak firing pin spring or crud inside the bolt.

"Sticks in chamber" sounds like some sort of crud buildup inside the chamber.

Call Savage.They will want you to send the gun ask if you can just send the bolt.Thats what I did same problems fixed the misfiring still have to keep the chamber clean or a case will stick but its better than before I sent it back.Its a lot easier to send the bolt than the whole gun.How did you clean the chamber

What kind of ammo are you using? I bought a bunch of Winchester Supreme 17 HMR ammo a few years ago and it was anything but "Supreme". Tons of misfires in both my Savage and my son's Savage. Hornady, Federal and CCI ammo worked fine, but that Winchester was only good for testing a shooter's flinch when pulling the trigger.

Should have bought a Remmy 17hmr. I have shot in excess of 8k rounds with mine, have only cleaned the barrel, wiping and using light oil on the bolt. Never a problem with firing and/or ejecting.
Not the case with a friend's Savage 17hmr. I guess you can say it was doing about the same as yours. The culprit was built up carbon in/on the extractor. Apparently, over time, carbon built up behind the extractor where it was barely "lipping" the casings. Same with a lot of misfires, had carbon inside and sides of the bolt's housing, apparently binding with the firing pin, spring or bolt not seating flush on the case (bolt not fully closing).
Anyway, "his fix" was removing and disassembly of the Bolt, and thoroughly cleaning it.
Also, look at the extractor's lip for wear, caused from many partial extractings. My friend had to replace his sometime later. Not sure if it really needed it or not, but I guess it made him feel better doing it?
So I'd pull the bolt and clean it. If you have already, check the extractor lip for wear.
g/l and I hope this helps.

Back