Savage 167 20 ga ejection problem

I'm looking at an old Savage 167 20 ga pump action that has an ejection problem. Sometimes when you pump the handle back, it does not eject. The ejector is a fixed piece and does protrude beyond the bolt face when the bolt is all the way back.

Thoughts?

Is that gun a 67, as I can't find a 167 listed? The 67 has the ejector and spring in a little block, in which a screw on the LH side, holds the assembly into the receiver. It could be a weak or dirty ejector spring, since these are not a fixed solid ejector, if this is it.

117130.jpg

Dixie Gunsmithing - that's the ejector. It's a fixed piece which I removed from the receiver and cleaned (along with the interior of the receiver, the two extractors which were easy to remove). Today I'm going to polish the chamber and see if that helps.

If memory serves, there were a bunch of Savage/Stevens/Springfield pumps that were generally all the same gun, with different model numbers, depending on the name.
The ejector is made of four parts, the body, the spring, plunger and the cross pin holding it all together, along with screws holding the unit to the inside of the receiver.
Mebbe, it's been awhile.

Thanks G. Willikers. I'll look at it again (this time with my glasses on). I have to stop working when the sun goes down.

ETA: Yep, there's a spring and pushes the ejector forward. The pin has been removed, the ejector shaft wiped and oil, the spring cleaned and oiled and the hole cleaned and oil.

Next step is to polish the chamber to smoothen the extraction.

OK, the ejection problem was solved. Part of the problem is the ejector isn't particularly strong (needs stronger spring and should be a tad longer) and being somewhat lacking in vigor, it doesn't eject unspent shotshells reliably. Unspent shells can be too heavy to be ejected even if the pump is forcibly moved to the rear.

New issue is failure to fire which happened twice. I'm going to disassemble the bolt and clean the firing pin, firing pin spring and the firing pin channel next. That was done and it now needs to be tested - again.

Back