Savage 12FV Raceway Problem

ninosdemente

The Savage 12FV 6.5 Creed has given me problems with the raceway when I close the bolt, it feels rough when closing and opening. Other than sending to a gunsmith to sort this or possibly sending to Savage, is there anything else that can be done? Is there a such thing as an "easy" fix?

Was looking to getting another bolt head/baffle but don't think that may fix the problem. Looking at the bolt head/baffle the scratches can be seen on the left side, very minute scratches on the right side.

Perhaps getting a new action with bolt can be an option but don't know what the cost would be for one if wanting to get something in "middle" price range. I have looked some online but haven't found much for the Savage. Mostly Rem 700 show up more. Maybe not looking at the right place.

Also if I send to gunsmith, don't know what is going rate (depending on gunsmith) for something like this or if I get a new action/bolt and have a gunsmith install (cost?).

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

There are a lot of videos out there for lapping in Savage bolts, there are precision bolt lugs are available from Pacific Tool and Gage, new actions and bolts are available from Northland Shooter Supply. First thing I would do though is cal Savage themselves, they have a good rep for customer service. Never had to use them myself, Savage is absolutely the easiest action to customize and tune for garage smiths

You might want to post this over at https://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php. Those guys live to help out fellow Savage owners

Are you sure it's in the raceway--they are generally pretty "loosey goosey" in tolerances? You'd probably see uneven wear in the bolt--more likely would be the floating bolt head engaging the receiver lugs would be my guess. If you thoroughly clean and apply a bit of lube--does the bolt still have stiffness closing (excluding the pressure needed engage the lugs) with no cartridge?
There are a lot of videos out there for lapping in Savage bolts, there are precision bolt lugs are available from Pacific Tool and Gage
PTG also makes a blueprinting tool for receiver face, thread, and lug truing that uses a guide that rides in the raceway. Works nicely--but you'll need a big set of raceway guides for the pilot, the same rifle model can have slightly different inside diameter from one rifle to the next.

Last edited:
The raceway on every Savage I have owned with a blued bolt has been rough at first. The tolerances between the bolt and the receiver have gotten tighter, based on the recent Savages I have owned. Every one of mine have eventually smoothed out very well. After a few hundred or thousand rounds, the bolt will work much more smoothly.

With the rifle EMPTY (check, recheck and checkagain!!!)

work the action a few thousand times. Do it while you're watching the idiot box or some other trivial thing.

The action will either "smooth up", or you will, and not notice the issue. :D

OR, as one friend of mine says, buy a better rifle...:rolleyes:

Modern Savage rifles (and in particular bolt guns) are known for some good points. Smooth, high quality finish isn't one of them.

Back