Savage 12 Long Range Precision in 6.5 creedmoor

cw308

Looking at this rifle for my next shooter. What do you think. Using only for benchrest shooting.

I love the caliber, but I am ignorant of Savage turnbolts as I have never had one.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye M77 Predator FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't have a full on bull barrel benchrest only barrel, but it does have a heavier than normal sporter profile barrel. The combo is great in my experience; easy to load for, fun to shoot.

PS 6.5 CM seems to be gaining in popularity. Recently I've been having some trouble buying new brass. Loaded ammo seems available, just a little pricy compared to what it costs me to load my own.

I really like mine...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564384

That was the first outing and firing. Have since printed consistent .5 MOA groups using factory Hornady 120gr AMAX ammo. Haven't worked up any handloads for it yet.

Oh and I was off on trigger pull weight. I bought a digital trigger pull gauge and it averaged 15oz over 3 pulls. That is where it was set from the factory. Could adjust it down to 6oz if wanted...

This rifle has a very strong following. Check out the Hide, a lot of info on it there as well. It would be my first choice in an out-of-the-box rifle (in .260 as well) for LR accuracy- but I will admit I'm intrigued by the new Ruger- it's worth a look.

Back