Savage 11vt

gunhappy

I have a bone stock 11vt that off a bipod on the bench can shoot in the .44 area center to center at 100 yards when I do my part and the stars align. The rifle caliber is 223 and the best groups are with handloads. I haven't had the opportunity to stretch farther than that yet but plan to. My question is do I get any appreciable return on investment if I were to change out the stock? I'm thinking a bell and carlson m40 or waiting on the new savage chasis from oryx. Thank you in advance for your opinions on this matter.

If it's shooting that well I wouldn't touch a thing and just shoot out the barrel before going down the rebuild path. But that's just me.

Good shooting!
But beware the "bipod off a bench".
My Stevens 200 rebarreled to 250 Savage did about that for 5 shot groups.
But the bipod likes to be loaded heavy.
Spiked feet on a wood bench, no problem.
Then took it to a match feeling pretty good.
That was untill i was told no spiked feet.
And the rubber feet on the concrete bench did nothing but slide.
Shot grapefruit sized groups.

I'd go with Stag & keep shooting.
A flatter buttstock may ride a bag a bit better, but changing stocks can bring on other headaches.

Ask me how i know. ;)

Thanks fellas. I really like the rifle and am exceedingly happy with the performance. I am typically bench shooting recreationaly only. I dont compete and truth be told I don't shoot as much as I want to. I would like to stretch its legs out to 400 yards and maybe try to get tight groups slung up from the seated. That's primarily why I was thinking about changing the stock to something a little stiffer. In the end I will probably spend money I don't need to but will probably like better.....decisions decisions

Changing the stock rarely improves accuracy. That said I often upgrade to something I like better. It usually more aesthetics than anything else.

I'd put my money into a good bench (or prone) bipod like the Sinclair Gen 3 F-Class bipod and a very good rear bag (I use a Protektor or an EdgeWood).
And if your scope isn't top notch, I would consider a scope improvement also.

I agree with jmr40, that the stock isn't usually an accuracy improver.
I never mess with my Accu-stock Savages.

However, my bargain Savage 12 FVs had factory stocks that didn't have aluminum stiffeners like your VT has, so my 6.5mm Creedmoor stock would twist. I bought an Oryx chassis and it actually improved accuracy because the stock is so stable.
I bought another one for my .223 12 FV, not because of the stock but because the insert in the hidden .223 mag made it difficult to load 69 and 77 grain SMKs loaded out for jump. The AICS mag for the Oryx made it a lot easier on my old fingers.
The heavier aluminum chassis improved accuracy just a slight amount, but I'm happy with it.

The 11vt doesn't have an Accustock or an aluminum backbone. It does have pillars but the front of the stock can be pulled onto the barrel when using a sling

Thought it did.

Being a .223, I doubt there would be flexing of the stock without a stiffener.
My 12 FV .223 stock, that didn't have an aluminum stiffener, didn't flex.

Back