savage 116 accutriger

Todd Shoup

Inactive
I have a accutriger on my savage 116 in 338 win mag. I have the trigger set at the lightest setting and it is still to strong. Can you purchase aftermarket springs to lighten up the pull more.

I have the same rifle. If your trigger is too tight at the lightest setting, there is something wrong with it. If you are sure you adjusted correctly, take it back for a look.

Trigger pull weight is a relative thing. If you're use to a 3/4 oz. trigger in a benchrest rifle... a 2 lb. trigger can seem a bit on the heavy side. Not wrong mind you, just heavy.

I do not disagree with ligonierbill however... you may have a mechanical problem you should not have. Do you have a trigger pull gauge Todd? Might want to consider getting one if not. You'd be the coolest kid on the block... really. :p

Off the top of my head, Rifle Basix makes a direct replacement, 4.0 oz to 3.0 lb range, trigger assembly for the 116. I think they run about $150, give or take.

Cheers,
C

I put a Rifle-Basix on my 338 in a Savage 110. Love it. I prefer a trigger around 2 1/2lbs for hunting. Too light can be dangerous when the adrenalin gets flowing.

Where is the trigger breaking. On a hunting rifle 3-4 lbs is perfectly acceptable. Much under 2.5 starts to be dangerous and any gun with a trigger under 2 lbs should only be used at the range and shot off a bench. Too many things to go wrong in the hunting fields with somthing that light. I'd rather have a crisp consistent 4 lb trigger that breaks at exactly 4 lbs every time than a mushy 2 lb trigger that sometimes breaks at 1.75 lbs and at 2.25 lbs another time. If you can shoot, you can shoot a gun with a 3-4 lb trigger. All of mine are adjusted as close to 3 as possible. I have no trouble placing my shots into 1/2" groups. Even with 5 lb Kimbers.

I'd take it somewhere that has a trigger pull scale and find out where you are before proceeding. You may just need some trigger time to get used to what you have. I'm a firm believer in dry fire practice. I'm betting that after a few thousand dry fires the trigger will be just fine.

The crispness and consistency are far more important than the actual weight.

Back