savage 112 bolt in .308, good bad and ugly?

smokin' barrels

i went into my local gun store today and seen a savage 112 heavy barrel varmint rifle any input on performance? quality and durability? problems?
thanks!

I should be a M12 as a .308 is usually on a short action. You can expect good to exceptional accuracy depending on how well you can shoot. They are ugly as sin but I like them to play with and swap barrels on. I'm not a huge fan of the accutrigger, it works but I don't like the feel of them. There are plenty of aftermarket parts out there for them to customize the rifle to what you want.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if that is the rifle you want.

My daughter just picked herself up a good deal: Savage Mod# 111 ( old flat top) with a 4x Pentax scope (brand new) synthetic stock, 25-06, left handed,,, had ten rnds shot through it....... $200.00 !:eek:

Good deals can be had by all.:)

We've got two heavy-barrel Savages in the family. A Model 10 and a 111. Both shoot well under MOA with good ammo. I'd classify both of them as half-inch rifles. Savage "lead the charge" on factory accuracy ten years ago and they've built a reputation as accurate rifles. Some say that they're ugly and Savage has heard that criticism and worked on it. A couple of years ago, they moved the cocking indicator/bolt release from the right side of the receiver to a button near the trigger guard. They've also become very innovative in listening to the market and trying to give shooters the rifles that they want.

I don't believe that you can get a more accurate rifle right out of the box than a new Savage. However, the other companies have been paying attention and are putting more focus on factory accuracy. It's getting hard to find an inaccurate factory rifle. The market demands it and the companies are responding. I believe that we live in a golden age of rifle manufacturing. We're seeing factory rifles come out with a built-in MOA potential, something that was unheard of 40 years ago in a factory rifle.

If it is a Model 112,it should be an older pre-Accutrigger gun.It will be a long action with a magazine block for the shorter 308 cartridge.
They are great guns,and very accurate shooters.

We shot my Daughter's 26" barrelled Savage 112 long action 308 a few weeks ago and it turned in a 3 shot group with 2 holes touching and the 3rd out about 1/4". That's with a bore not really broken in and still rough.

Back