Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP - Stock not straight

I am looking at a 111 Trophy Hunter XP in .308. I have been looking around and went to look at them again today. I noticed that the stock is not straight and looks warped. The right side has a much larger gap vs the left and the left side of the barrel is pretty much touching the stock. The first one I looked at was a Dick's. I went to Academy and looked at a .308 they had in stock and it was the exact same way. They had a .270 as well that was the same way

Were these defective or are all of them like this and it's a design flaw? I found it odd that three rifles at two different stores were the same way. Is this something that can easily be fixed by sanding down the stock?

I have been a long-time Remington guy and but really want to try a Savage since I've been hearing good things about them lately.

If you are talking about the plastic stock, then it would fall into the design flaw category - and sandpaper will fix it.

A better fix though would be to use a better stock. I'd sandpaper the tupperware stock to get me by until I could order a laminated stock from Boyds.

I've read where some have used a heat gun, or blow dryer to carefully heat the stock and bend it. As long as the stock doesn't touch the barrel a wider gap on one side is only cosmetic. If it is touching a little sand paper will stop that. If you can achieve that, the stock on the rifle will shoot as well as a $600 after market stock. It just won't look as good doing it.

Move on buy something else
Being a NEW rifle off the rack you shouldn't have to straighten out a manufactures defect. Especially one that is easily seen. Intentionally marketed with a Ill fitting warped stock I highly doubt Savage will replace the stock under warranty anyway. Again, Move on buy something else.

I'm going to look around more and see if I can find one that has a better stock.

If that doesn't happen, thoughts on what else I should look at? I'd like to keep it in the same ballpark of $500 and in a .308. I found the Winchester XPR Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 but can't find many reviews on them.

I've always liked Remington (had one an ADL for 17 years) but I've heard their triggers are garbage now.

Last edited:
The Winchester XPR and Weatherby Vanguard 2 are both much nicer rifles than the Savage.

You might also want to look at the Browning A-Bolt III, and the Howa 1500.

I would guess that all of these can be seen on YouTube.

"...you shouldn't have to straighten out a manufactures defect..." Yep. That's what warrantees are for.
"Any defect in materials or workmanship (performed by Savage Arms) encountered during normal use."
Mind you, you must register the warrantee within 10 days of purchase and it doesn't cover used kit. Can't say as I'd buy something that's visually defective either though.
"...until I could order a laminated stock from Boyds..." Or buy a 10/110 Trophy Hunter with a wooden stock in the first place.

Back