Savage 111 action screws loosening?

banditt007

This is my first centerfire rifle, that i personally own. so i am unaware if this is normal or not.

anyway, shot the gun say 120 rds. (30-06) went back to the range groups were all over the place. came home and took a look over the gun, action screws loose. tightened them up (firmly snug, didnt want to strip but didnt want too loose either) went back to the range shot say 20 rounds, and one of the two screws i was able to get another 1/2 turn out of. another 20 rounds later same thing.

so should i loctite this? seems ridiculous that i even need to. i feel like i could possibly get a little tighter. but am approaching stripping the dam things.

I cannot take this gun back apart for a couple weeks, deer season is another couple weeks longer and i do not want to lose zero.

so should i loctite this? seems ridiculous that i even need to
You can locktite the screws. But checking them when you clean your rifle is normal maintenance. It's normal for them to rattle loose from repeated recoil.

Loctite is one way to do it and a torque wrench is another. Here is a link to one man's opinion on the matter. Just remember though that if you use a torque wrench DON'T lubricate the screws with loctite or anything else or they'll overtighten. Also, if you use one of these Wheeler torque drivers, you may break the bits if you use too high a setting. I broke one not too long ago, trying to torque to 60 pounds. Really dumb. http://www.gunsandhunting.com/midway_feb07.html

That would be 60 inch pounds, not foot pounds.

Also clean the threads with 90% alcohol and let dry before torquing.

Jimro

ive got the savage 111 in 7mm rem mag. i had to loctite most of my screws, the torque wrench only kept them tight for a few sessions.
just use the lightest loctite available.

Use..

clear nial polish.

It's what I used for "hunter sight-in" at my club.
wipe both the screws and the tapped receiver holes with acetone or denatured alcohol, put a spot of polish on threads then screw them in-place. Let dry about twenty minute.

Back