Savage 111- 30-06? 300 win mag?

WildWolf1911

I am in the market for a Savage 111. I am headed towards the 30-06. Some people are telling me I should get the 300 win mag instead. This will be an all purpose hunting rifle. What do you guys think? Also, what scope would you put on it ($200.00 or less). Thanks

Details are kind of skimpy, but for an all-purpose hunting rifle it's hard to beat the .30-06. I've got a Savage 111 FNS and it's probably my favorite hunting rifle. It's been with me through thick and thin, to the point where it's on its second stock.

Scopes? There are lots of scopes that will serve the rifle well, under $200.00. Look at the new Redfield's, or the new Weaver lines. I've got a new Weaver Buck Commander on a .308 and I am very impressed with it, even though it retails at about $200.00. I recently bought a Redfield 4X12 for a son's .30-06 and I'm also very impressed with that scope. Nikon has some great scopes at that price point, as does Swift Optics. There are plenty of choices there for you.

WildWolf1911.

The 30/06 is my choice for most hunting and I have many rifles to choose from. To name them I have a 264 mag., a 308 Norma, a 338 Mag.. a 243 Winchester and of course, my 30/06. I have shot deer and antelope with the 30/06, the 308 Norma and the 243.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

It is hard to beat the 30/06 as an all purpose rifle. I currently own a 300 Win Mag that I sold a 30/06 to get and I wish I had kept the 06. The 300 kicks hard and I just don't like shooting it as much as I did the 30/06, and it is to much gun for deer IMHO.

As for optics my first piece of advice is don't scrimp, save up and get a good scope. With that said if you are stuck and have to stay at or below $200 I'd look at Nikon and Burris.

I have used a 30-06 for many years hunting. Unless you are long range hunting I dont see a need for a 300win mag unless you just want one. I have a couple of burris scopes that were under $200 that are fine scopes.

I have a Savage 110 30-06. It's my "go-to" all purpose hunting rifle. I really don't know what a 300 win mag will do that a 30-06 won't.

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like it is the 30-06! Now need to pick the scope. I have a Nikon on my AR and like it. I have heard mixed reviews regarding the redfield. I guess I will just try some out at the store. Thanks again

Weaver, Burris, Redfield, Bushnell 3200 all would be good choices. Some of those Savage 111's come as a package with a Simmons 3X9X40 if you're looking for a budget. Bass Pro and Wally World sell them, I had one but sold it on Sunday. 30'06 would be my choice having owned one. The stock is cheap and light on those guns and I'd be willing to bet a .300 WinMag would have a pretty heavy recoil.

30-06...you didn't mention anything about extra-long range hunting (say, 500+) so I don't see the need for the flatter-shooting magnum with the extra cost and shorter barrel life...

If I were to buy a scope for it in that price range, this Vortex Viper is 40% off now on closeout, and I guarantee you can't beat it for the price. I've got one in 3.5-10, and I'll put it up against any other scope in the $400 range and more...

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

All Around leaves out the WM. It is a Big Game cartridge. Think of it this way. A 30-06 can push a 180 grain bullet within 200fps of the WM with more than 15gr. less powder and a whole lot less recoil and blast.

unless its on the other side of cover or at ranges of many hundreds of yards theres no real quantifiable difference except that the .300 WM costs about 3x more a round.

.30-06 will take out a deer or if called upon for defensive puposes, human at any range where the round will remain on target in most weapons

Back