Savage 110 Predator or Remington 700 SPS(223)

Dennis Bates

Inactive
Hi everyone, undecided which one should I get!
I'm asking Forum for help deciding.I know many of you have both these rifles
and could tell me alot.
Thank you for responding to my Request.

Last edited:
You can't really go wrong with either one. If you have handled both I'd pick the one that felt most comfortable and natural in the position I was going to be shooting in.

I bought a Remington 700 SPS in .22-250 a few years ago because of the reputation of the 700 action. It was low cost - under $400 - so I took the chance.
That reputation is well earned but the rest of the rifle was not up to that reputation. It would only shoot 5-round groups in the 0.7 inch range at 100 yards.
I changed the flexible stock to a B&C Medalist with aluminum pillars and changed the really crappy trigger to a Timney. The changes turned the bargain rifle into a $750 rifle. It then shot groups around 0.4 inches at 100 yards.

By contrast, I bought a cheap Savage 11 VT in .22-250 about 2 years ago - also for under $400 - with an Accu-trigger and Accu-stock (aluminum rail and pillars) and it shot in the mid 0.4 range right out of the box with the same bullets with no extra costs.

I now own 7 Savage rifles that all shot great right out of the box.
I still only own that single Remington 700 that had to have the trigger and stock replaced to shoot accurately.
That comparison is good enough for me.

Neither. Get a CZ 527 Varmint or American. It has a fantastic trigger (set or use without setting), Walnut stock, and shoots sub .5" five shot groups. They absolutely can't be beat for the money. They are really affordable and well made.

You can't really go wrong with either one. If you have handled both I'd pick the one that felt most comfortable and natural in the position I was going to be shooting in.

Probably the best answer you'll get. You get a rifle you don't like and it'll probably never shoot well enough no matter how well it shoot's. Buy one you don't like that shoots well but not great and you'll probably love it!

While it really doesn't matter, an SPS is an entry level hunting rifle. A 110 is not an entry level rifle. However, you can literally buy on price alone. Mind you, look at Cabela's site before you buy anything. A Savage 12V Varminter runs $449. Or you can have an M700 ADL Varmint for $499.
The SPS' trigger is adjustable just like the 110's.

Rimfire5 said:
That reputation is well earned but the rest of the rifle was not up to that reputation. It would only shoot 5-round groups in the 0.7 inch range at 100 yards.

Sub MOA out of any production rifle is pretty good IMO. I'd still take the M700 action over the M10/110 action, it is just easier to work with. Was your SPS a VT model as well?

T. O'Heir said:
While it really doesn't matter, an SPS is an entry level hunting rifle. A 110 is not an entry level rifle. 

A M10/110 can very much be an entry level rifle, just like a M700 can be. A 10/110 Trophy Hunter or the Cabela's VT rifles you've mentioned before are very much entry level rifles, just like a lot of the M700 ADL and SPS rifles can be. With options you can price both out of the entry level pretty easily.

Back