savage 110 LRH 338 LM

stagpanther

savage 110 long range hunter in 338 Lapua

I've had my eyes on this one for over a decade, it's been a long time since I last looked at it, but finally pulled the trigger on buying it now that it can be had for around 1K--and includes several improvements over the original. Obviously a reloader's proposition since a box of ammo costs around 4 to $5 a pop. Not sure why factory ammo is so expensive, brass is expensive but you can still save something on the order of 50 to 75% reloading your own by my rough calculations. I know it will be shoulder-pounder to some degree being a 8.5 lb rifle; not something I'll want to shoot all day but I figure it can't be worse than my 375 Ruger which has no muzzle device and also is a lightweight rifle.

Last edited:
Its probably not too bad with that Muzzle Brake.....

My friend has the one with the HS Precision stock. Still recoils like a hot loaded 30-06.

I would love to have one, figure I am better off with my 30 calibers in the non magnum area.

Actually I lust after one with the Red Trigger, but would have to re-barel and new bolt head for what I would shoot in it!

Cheaper to get an aftermarket but not sure you could get one that goes as low as that target trigger.

Still recoils like a hot loaded 30-06.
I looked up the relative recoil, I'll be shooting it with similar weight bullets as I do my 375 ruger and apparently the 338LM has a pretty decent amount less felt recoil, plus like you say it has a brake. I enjoy shooting my 35 whelen-the recoil seems to rattle my teeth more than kick my shoulder

The problem with abbreviations is that while some are old and widely known, some aren't, and aren't clear to those who aren't "in the know". Stating the full name, once and abbreviation afterwards helps a lot. (plus, it means we don't have to go search somewhere else to be sure what you are talking about ;)) For example, if you say .300 WM is that Winchester, or Weatherby? or ??

So, what is .338 LM??

Not sure why factory ammo is so expensive,

The answer to this is simple economics. niche rounds cost as much to make as common popular rounds (allowing for variance in material amount & cost). The factory's expenses are the same, in terms of time and wear on the machinery that makes the ammo. Now, with some rounds, material cost plays a big factor, like .458 Win Mag. Big case, big bullet = higher material cost than say a .30-30. And there's the other side of the coin, .22 Hornet costs more than .30-30 but obviously less material is involved, so why the higher price?

Volume. And per round manufacturing costs + profit = price. Volume, including customer base, matters. They aren't going to sell as many rounds of whatever niche caliber, so the ones they do sell have to make them enough profit to keep the manufacturer in business.

My 111 hunter in 300 Winchester magnum's (also known as 300 wm) big sister was delivered today--the 110 long range hunter in 338 Lapua Magnum (also known as 110 LRH 338 LM).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 338lm.jpg
    338lm.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 193
Nice man. Looks pretty good. Let us know when you shoot it
Thanks kilo. They appear to weigh about the same--about the same as a light to medium weight AR10--I have hauled my 300wm into the woods for hunting--not fun--but doable. I'm just waiting for the brass and bullets to come in to get some loads done--couldn't bring myself to spring for any factory ammo. On top of that it's supposed to snow for the next three days, we already have a thick ice pack on the ground--totally sucks. In the meantime I still need to true/level the scope to the gun.

"...why factory ammo is so expensive..." Extremely limited demand(there's nothing in North America that needs a magnum of any kind to kill) and excessive recoil. A 225 grain bullet at 3000 FPS out of a 9.5 pound rifle had 37.2 ft-lbs. of recoil. VS a 180 grain .30-06 at 2700 FPS out of 8.0(closest weight) pound rifle and its 20.3 ft-lbs. A 180 grain .30-06 AI at 2985 FPS out of an 8.5 pound rifle runs 23.0 ft-lbs.
A .375 Ruger 270 grain bullet at 2840 FPS out of a 9.0 pound rifle has 41.3 ft-lbs.

I'm supposed to meet a friend at 5--and the UPS guy shows up at 3: 45 with my order of brass and bullets--so I figured what the heck I throw together 4 quickies (88 grs H1000 behind 230 eldx). I had trued and bore-sighted both my 300 WM and this rifle this morning--I thought I would probably be very close--but instead the first shot went way high--I could tell by the branch that fell out of the tree after the shot. I dropped down some--you can see the next impact at the high left edge--the Nightforce FFP tracking is impeccable--using the hash marks on the reticle the last two were very close to the bulls.

The very first shot I held the rifle hard and tight as I would my 375 ruger or a 300 RUM. As it turned out, totally unnecessary--the felt recoil didn't feel all that much more than my 300 win mag--in fact the next three shots I allowed the gun to pretty much free recoil back into my shoulder. Obviously these were moderate loads--but still, my first impression is THIS GUN IS GREAT! :D:D

Do NOT fire one--you will want to buy it--trust me.:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
With you liking it that much, i may need to see about sneaking one into the budget.
These North American squirrels are in desparate need of some 250gr .338 bullets! ;)

With you liking it that much, i may need to see about sneaking one into the budget.
These North American squirrels are in desparate need of some 250gr .338 bullets!
The only caveat I would add is because of the cost of factory ammo--doesn't make a lot of sense to buy anything in 338 Lapua unless you reload--or are rich.;)

I have wanted a 338 Lapua Magnum for awhile now. If i ever get one it will likely be a savage. (The only one I will be able to afford anytime soon)

What is this "factory ammo, you speak of? :confused:
I don't buy factory ammo.

And my mistake... I shouldn't want a Lapua Magnum because i live in North America.
I'll look for a 408 Cheytec, or 50 BMG instead, because they don't have the word "Magnum" attached... :D

And my mistake... I shouldn't want a Lapua Magnum because i live in North America.
I'll look for a 408 Cheytec, or 50 BMG instead, because they don't have the word "Magnum" attached...
I looked long and hard at the cheytac options--but truth is I haven't even mastered 500 to 1000 yd shooting--yet. In addition to that; cheytac appears to have some kind of lock on using their designs, so it's mostly an ultra-expensive ultra-custom offering from only a few manufacturers at this point. I've used some Cutting Edge bullets lately in 30 cal loads and have been very impressed by their performance; I think they produced some winners in king of 2 miles comp. There's probably nothing I can do with Lapua that I can't also do with the 300wm here in the east for now--but I do intend to get back out west at some point--I lived in Vegas for a while and I fondly remember "anything goes" shooting out in the desert.:)

So I then looked at the general form factor of the larger 338 bullets, the BC's, trajectory profile of the 338 Lapua in general, efficiency and energy delivery over longer ranges and came to the conclusion that a well-made rifle at $1000 is a bargain window into the world of out to a mile shooting. Whether or not I actually end up getting out that far isn't really all that important--like most of my weapons in a pretty large collection it will rotate in and out of the development cycle. :D

PS--I'll admit the "Intervention" used by Bob Lee Swagger in "Shooter" was a HUGE marketing attraction for me hard to resist. :D:D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaS_4ry5-Y0

Last edited:
There is always the 338-378 Weatherby, or 340 Dakota...
Casings are slightly , ok significantly, less expensive than the Cheytec cases/dies/reamers.
Problem would be affording optics good enough.
It's one thing telling the wife i spent $1,000 on a rifle, quite another telling her i NEED a $2,500 scope! :eek:

Ahh to be young and single. 1 bedroom apartment and a $60 blow up sheep, and your good to go! :D

I bought the Nightforce SHV last year when they rolled it out--I think it could be had for around $1200. I thought it was worthwhile to get a foot in the Nightforce door, and have installed it on several rifles. FFP sure is nice, and they are known for reliably accurate tracking. Many of my cheaper scopes it's hard to tell when the turret is even clicking--let alone what you're actually getting in tracking.

Yeahhhh.....
With the rifle, she could somewhat see where it may help us get food.
$1,200 on a scope is a much harder sell.

I'd love to be able to try a Nightforce scope!
Have looked through several US Optics scopes.
Now for those winning lottery numbers... :rolleyes:

Back