Savage 110 Hunter

ReloadKy

Getting a Savage 110 Hunter in 7mm-08. Never had a savage and have read that they can be picky in terms of what scope mounts to use. Can anyone suggest scope mounts that would work with this rifle? I prefer not to use a picattany rail but if I have to I will. Thanks for help.

Any kind of rail with multiple mounting points like an EGW rail. The problem with Savage is the action is longer than average and scope main tubes are getting shorter. So you need a rail to get proper eye relief with a Savage. Burris and others make a two piece bases that will give you a couple of different mounting options, but they aren't as flexible as a one piece rail. I only use the two piece options when I have a blind magazine as it allows better access to the action. The new Savage rifles have all pretty much gone to DBM so this isn't as much of an issue anymore.

Last edited:
The new Savage 110 short actions are a true short action. I recommend an EGW or Weaver rail, but the standard Savage 110 Weaver bases work well. I have not found them to be very picky, but I own mostly Savages so take that for what it is worth. Now if you were to buy an Axis rifle. They are all long action regardless of caliber.

If you had something of equal Value to trade, I have both a 0 MOA EGW rail and a 20 MOA EGW rail for a Savage Short action. The 20 MOA rail has never even been mounted to a rifle.

kilotanker22 said:
The new Savage 110 short actions are a true short action.
They are no different than the old Model 10 action with the 4.40" action screw spacing. And while yes a shorter action than a Savage long action, they are still a little on the long side for scope mounting without a rail. The Savage short action is longer overall than the Remington 700 or Winchester M70 short action.

Savage 110 SA scope mount screw spacing: 4 Hole to hole spacing dimensions are .86″, 3.94″, .86″.

Remington M700 SA scope mount screw spacing: 4 Hole to hole spacing dimensions are .86″, 3.63″, .60″

Winchester M70 SA scope mount screw spacing: 4 Hole to hole spacing dimensions are .86″, 3.27″, .86″

Since the Savage short action is simply longer that's what the issue is with mounting scopes to their action, and why a rail is recommended.

Long action Savage rifles can be challenging. Some scopes and mounts simply won't work together. It's not so much the action length, but the length of the loading/ejection port and the distance between the mounting holes. If you try to use 2 piece mounts you have to choose a pretty long scope or extension rings. Something with a rail helps.

The Savage short action is longer overall than the Remington 700 or Winchester M70 short action.

This.

In fact a Savage short actions loading/ejection port is only about 1/16" shorter than a Remington or Winchester long action.

You may want to take a look at a one-piece intregal DNZ gamereaper--I put one on a recent axis purchase and am pretty impressed.

Stag,
The Axis is a long action. ;)
And why pay $200 on something that you can get for $40?

All my rifles wear EGW rails.

"Will the rail for Savage model 10 also fit my model 110 ?"

The Weaver 20 MOA rail on my 110 Tactical desert was for a Model 10. Hole spacing is the same, but the screws are different size. The larger screws might be because mine is the Tactical, but I am not for sure. The screws that came with the Weaver rail were definitely too small diameter. All I did was use the screws that came with the rifle and was good to go.

It really all depends on what scope you plan to put on it. I prefer Warne extended 2 piece bases is length is an issue. Scopes seem to be getting shorter and shorter.

"...can be picky in terms of..." All brands/models of rifle can be picky in terms of the bases used. Just buy bases made for a Savage 110 and you'll be fine. It's about the radius on the bottom of the base and in the case of a one piece base, the length.
Like std7mag says, you do not have to spend a big pile of money on scope bases. Or rings. You don't need a 'rail' either.
Taylorce1, that EGW link is dead. Just an FYI. Don't imagine you killed it. snicker.

"...can be picky in terms of..." All brands/models of rifle can be picky in terms of the bases used. Just buy bases made for a Savage 110 and you'll be fine. It's about the radius on the bottom of the base and in the case of a one piece base, the length.
Like std7mag says, you do not have to spend a big pile of money on scope bases. Or rings. You don't need a 'rail' either.
Taylorce1, that EGW link is dead. Just an FYI. Don't imagine you killed it. snicker.
You missed the point yet again. Scope being long enough to fit with 2 piece bases is the topic at hand.

As far as scopes that will fit the Savage short action with two piece bases. I can tell you that the Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12x44 , Bushnell Engage 3-9x40, Vortex Viper HST. Those scopes fit fine. Don't know what scope you are looking for, bit those will surely work.

kilo i looked at the vortex crossfire 2 4-12x44 and the leupold vx-freedom. I decided to go with the leupold. I have never owned one and the clarity of the glass in their entry level scope was pretty impressive. Of course is does not fit on my savage with a two piece base. I am going to go today to check at ky gun co before I order an EGW or leupold picatinny rail.

Back