Savage 110 heavy barrel

Hello to all,

I have a savage 110fp tactical 308 which from my research dates pre 1994. Being that I recently bought it used and that it is approaching 20 years old and now seeing steady use under my care, its only a matter of time before the barrel will get shot out. I really like my set-up and plan to have this rifle for life but want to maintain its high level of accuracy which can't be done with a worn barrel.

My question is does anyone know where I can get a replacement 308 matte black heavy barrel for the savage 110? I've found a couple blued tapered 308 hunting barrels and stainless 7mm and 300 win mag heavy barrels at brownell's but no 308s like which came stock on the fp model. The 308 being such a popular round and the 110 being around for decades, I thought the barrel I am looking for would be a dime of dozen. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your replies.

Depending on what level of accuracy your pocketbook can handle, you could have one made from the likes of lilja, shilen, kreiger, etc. I'm not versed in savage rifles at all but I would have to assume a custom barrel wouldn't be out of the question for a "lifetime" type firearm of any brand.

Are you shooting with a hot barrel on a regular basis or with hot loads? What level of accuracy are you expecting to be able to shoot? How many rounds do you shoot in a year and how many rounds did the orginal owner put through the rifle. Plus how does your rifle shoot now?

A .308 with competition accuracy should last anywerher from 1-4K rounds hunting accuracy it should be good out to 10K rounds. Hunting accuracy for me is 1.5 MOA or less 3-5 round groups from the bench or bipods at any range, off hand I'm happy with anything less than 2" at 100. Tactical accuracy, I'd be happy with it being the same as my hunting rifle. Competition shooters aren't going to win with a +1 MOA rifle at any range probably more likely a +.5 MOA and you'll loose.

If you suspect that your barrel is shot out take it to a gunsmith and have them run a bore scope down it. Any barrel makere will make you the barrel you want if you need a new barrel just depends on how much you are willing to spend. Some will send you a drop fit already blued other will send you one in the white and you'll have to find someone to finish the barrel.

Call Savage Customer service. You can send it to their custom shop for a barrel refit.

Who knows they might sell a barrel to you, I don't know if they will. You can install it yourself or take it to the gunsmith.

For what it is worth and I know Shilen, Douglas, and Kreiger make good barrels (Some better than others) but the Savage factory rifle has won the world championship with a factory made on Savage machinery button rifled barrel for the past 5 years in a row.

Northland Shooters Supply sells unused Savage barrels.
You will just have to call to find out if they have a black heavy barrel on hand. They don't have a website of their own, but list stuff for sale on the Savage board at:
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?board=64.0

Numerous barrelmakers like Pac-Nor and Shilen will sell you a barrel contoured, threaded, and chambered for a Savage action. Finish is up to you, though. All you need is the barrel nut wrench, a barrel vise, and a headspace go-gauge.
This is one of the few practical DIY barrel changes.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Taylorce1 to answer your question...
I try to keep the hot barrel shooting to a minimum but I wouldn't be surprised to put 1000+ rounds through the rifle before the end of the year. Right now its shooting sub 1" moa at 100yds with 147 grain factory which is excelent with the 1 in 10" twist. I'm expecting for it to shoot at least sub .75" moa with 168 grain BTHP. The problem is being that I bought it used, I have no idea how many rounds the previous owner(s) had fired. For all I know it could be approaching or in that 1-4K area you mentioned.

It is a slight concern to me because there is a possibility that I may become my dept's sharpshooter utilizing this rifle. If I can provide a rifle which is up to standard needed for police sharpshooting while saving the dept the cost of a new rifle, it leaves me with the leverage to have them spend the money slated for the initial rifle purchase on accessories like higher quality optics, shooting supplies, and lots and lots of ammo.:D ( gotta love politics and bean counting;))
Plus not to mention that If I would need to use the rifle to make a precision shot on a target to save a life, I want to know that the rifle will shoot at its highest level of accuracy.
The latter being said, it will only be a matter of time before the current barrel will not be able to hold the level of precision needed and a replacement will be necessary. I want to be prepared for that time so when it does occur, I once again can go to those who pay the bills and say, " Remember I saved you $wwww? The currect set-up is no longer working and a new rifle will cost you $xxxx but a new barrel will only cost you $yyy saving you $zzz."

Once again thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 47
Why not just call Savage and see in what direction they can send you? Heck, they might even be able to re-barrel it for you.

Back