Savage 110 Bolt Head

Yosemite Steve

Older Model Savage 110 Bolt Head Replacement

I recently received the new bolt head from Gun Shack for my Savage 110 that I ordered. It did not match the one I have which has a concave bolt face from years of shooting high velocity game ammo. Unfortunately there isn't any replacement that is an exact match to the one I have. The pre-1999 models had a larger firing pin that can still be purchased but not the matching bolt head.

What I ended up doing was ordering, through Brownells, a new firing pin and matching bolt head retainer pin as well as a new friction washer (all for $17 with shipping). The bolt head I purchased did not have the alignment slot nor a small bevel cut into part of the head to ease chambering. I have a gunsmith who offered to do it for free. (He will be compensated)

The bolt face was about .007" deeper at center than the outer edge. I also purchased a new Wolff main spring from gunsprings.com. Hopefully it will help me keep the old girl accurate another 30 years. I have some good loads worked up and hope that I will not have to shoot it more than to check it before hunting. I have plenty of other guns to play with and don't want to finish wearing out the one that has given me all the glory of hunting since I was 14 years old.

I would like to thank Unclenick, RC20 and everyone else who helped me sort a few things out.

It's a Savage 110CL Series J that was purchased mid eighties.

Last edited:
Back