Savage 110 bolt action 7mm rem mag

davis21b

I have just received a Savage 110 bolt action 7mm rem mag. Its an older gun but not real old. I was wondering if anyone had any info about this gun. I would also like to know what grain bullet would be best to use. I have not gotten in to reloading yet so i need factory loads perferbly something cheap. Any input would be appriciated. I suck at spelling lol.

I would also like to know what grain bullet would be best to use

For what use?

My Remington like 120, 140, 150, 160, and 175 grain bullets of various makes and types.

You won't find too much "cheap" 7 mag ammo - reloading will be the cheapest way AND get you something tailored to YOUR gun

There are browsers such as Mozilla Firebird that include spell checks for forum posting.

The Savage 110 is a fine basic rifle. It should be reasonably accurate.
What ammo shoots best out of it is anyones guess. Each rifle seems to have its own preference.

7mm are most commonly loaded 130 and 140gr bullets. Start with the least expensive in that weight range and work through till you find a round your rifle likes.

thanks I should have mentioned it earlier I'm using it for white tail deer various ranges probably not to exceed 400 yards ( I can and have shot futher than that). I have been using federal 150 gr. there not very high at all about $18 a box. I first used Winchester 175 gr but I figured that was more than i needed for white tail they were around $25 a box and the federal just actually looks like a better made round. I know i shouldn't judge a book by its cover though.

I also wanted to ask. I know that typycally with a 30 cal you can sight your scope at 25 yards and it will be pretty close at 100 yards. I was wondering if I could do this with 7mm rem mag as well but the ballistics I have seen for the 7mm rem mag show it to be same as muzzle at 200 yards.

I ran every grain bullet through my savage 110 7mm rem mag and it did well with all of them. I like the 140 grain the best for deer hunting. The 140 grain bullet will give you around 311 yards as the maximum point blank range (meaning no hold over is needed when aiming at a deer sized target). This is achieved by sighting in 2.5" high at 100 yards. That's impressive range, and the 140 performs really well on deer. So to me it makes the most sense to choose the 140 grain. Your rifle will probably be spot on with this load.

I love 7mm Rem. Mag.! I have the stainless steel version of the 110 with the Model 116. With a beautifully crisp 3lb trigger, it is as deadly accurate as you could want it to be, easily the most accurate rifle I have. I use the heavier bullets in mine using mostly 160 and 162 grain bullets and get 3/4" groups at 100 yards. Try some Wolf Gold 160's, they are not super expensive, but shoot really well.

I also reload my 7mm RM's and 61 gr's of IMR4831 under a 162gr. Hornady SPBT with a magnum large rifle primer is superb.

You did well to get the Savage 110 in 7mm RM! :cool:

7mmsavage08.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7mmsavage12.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I don't know much about the rifle you have, but I must say the 7MM MAG. will get the job done. Since I bought mine I have shot 3 whitetail deer with it and it dropped them where they stood. I use either 160 or 162 grain bullets in it. Good luck and enjoy your rifle.

I picked up my 7mm rem, mag last February, It's a Weatherby Vanguard, btw,and luckily the first box of ammo I purchased was the hornady 139 gr btsp loads. See a friend of mine has had a 7mm forever, and I thought he'd know so I called him and all he said he used through his for deer. Well first I thought, fine,, If anytime during the "break in" of my new rifle, if it starts likeing these loads , I'll stick with them, well long story, short, it did. At fifty yards is where I started and it seemed to group tight enough to be pushed to 100 yds, ( that's the farthest I can shoot at my local range) and it did fine. It shoots under 1/2 inch groups at one hundred with these loads.:) I still will probably move up to the 154 grns before next season just to get more umph at longer distance, btw the deer I took this year with it, I shot at about 20 yds, so I really didn't get to see the long range performance of this load, as it pertains to dispatching a live critter.:rolleyes:

I'd say something in 140 - 150 grain range.

Do yourself a favor and get the basic tools needed to start reloading. Even the "cheap" boxes of Big 7 ammo run about 25 - 30 bucks retail. Reloading will cut that in half.

For my deer load, I use a 150 grain Core-Lokt bullet, CCI 250's, and Supreme 780. The bullet expands very well, and has never failed to give a good exit wound and blood trail on the deer I've shot. Accuracy isn't the best, but it's not shabby, either. Roughly an inch at 100 yards.

Ok another ? I know the 110 is a long action but i dont exactly know what that means. Whats better long or short action is one more accurate or what. What is the purpose of the long action and short action. I also want to put a new scope on also but with it being a long action its hard to find one i like to put on there ive been thimking of getting some extension rings but im not sure that will make a whole lot of difference.

davis21b said:
Ok another ? I know the 110 is a long action but i dont exactly know what that means. Whats better long or short action is one more accurate or what. What is the purpose of the long action and short action. I also want to put a new scope on also but with it being a long action its hard to find one i like to put on there ive been thimking of getting some extension rings but im not sure that will make a whole lot of difference.

Bolt action rifles are generally made in two lengths, long and short. Short action rifles are normally for those cartridges such as the .243, 308, and variants of that length. Long action rifles are made to use cartridges such as the .30-06, .270, and your 7mm Rem Mag.

Some short actions are shorter, to accommodate smaller cartridges. Many makers used to make a magnum action to accommodate cartridges that would not fit in a long action. But generally these days, most action lengths are short action or long action.

Short actions are generally considered to be inherently more accurate, simply because the shorter action is stiffer. The practical truth is that either action will be more accurate than most shooters can take advantage of. There are lots of very accurate rifles made on a long action.

I have a couple of long action Savage rifles, in .30-06 and in 7mm Rem Mag. I use extended bases and extended rings on my .30-06 to get the scope back far enough for proper eye relief. Mounting a scope on a rifle is an intensely personal thing, because we're all different and what works for me might not work for you. Some shooters like a scope more forward on the rifle than I like mine. Things like eye relief matter when you're using a rifle and everyone sets up a scope differently. In my case, using extended rings and bases made all the difference in the world.

I have also noticed that the barrel on it seems to heat up pretty fast. How many rounds can i shoot thru it before i need to let it cool down. How long do i need to let it cool down?

Last edited:
Most hunting rifles have a relatively light barrel. Rapid firing 3 to 5 shots can be enough to change the harmonics of the barrel.

About 10-15 minutes should be enough cooling time after slow shooting a couple mags

The 7mm Rem mag is a great cartridge!

And for hunting eating type critters, the 160gr Nosler partition is about as good as it gets unless you happen to want to take on a big bear.

That might call for the 175gr Nosler Partition.

You will never be sorry to have spent a small amount more on a premimum bullet such as the Nosler and sometimes they will save the day.

Cost a bit more, yes, but you'll spend far more on gas for your hunting then the additional cost of a top quality bullet.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I bought the same rifle used last year. Mine really likes the 150 grain Federal Power-shoks. Around here they run about $15/box at Wally World.
I killed 4 deer with them this past season and 2 fell in their tracks and 2 went about 30 yards.
You may want to get a few boxes of different ammo to see what it prefers. FWIW people I have talked with tell me that the Savage 7mm's prefer 150 grain and heavier bullets so thats where I started for a deer round YMMV.

Back