Savage 110 Barrel ID

BoogieMan

I have a donor 110 that I am putting a 458WM barrel on.
How do I determine series letter B,C,D,E,M,P,E ? Barrel is stamped 30-06 110. Under the Collar/Nut I found a "Y" and also A4A4. I assume the A4A4 is inspector stamp. Thread dia is 1.052" (1-1/16" nom). Receiver Serial F69639x
I did some google search but I cant find a link or chart anywhere for series letter.

Swiped, I mean, reallocated this from another forum. No idea how accurate it is, but something tells me it's incomplete.
"Pulled the following from the 2011 Catalog on the Savage Website:
AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B - Laminate Stock
BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)
F - Synthetic Stock
G - Hardwood Stock
H - Hinged Floor plate
L - Left Hand
ML - Muzzleloader
NS - No Sights
P - Police
SS - Stainless Steel
T - (Rimfire) Peep Sights
V - Long-Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP - Package Gun
Y - Youth"

As far as replacing the barrel on a Savage 110, the main thing that you need to know is, is it a old style bolt or a current style bolt. The series really isn't that important as long as it has the current style bolt in it. The current style bolt will have the ejector plunger inside the bolt head and the extractor flush on the bolt head. You can find some pics on the web.

Hopfully this helps a little.

edit: You will also need to be concerned with the shank size of the action. The serial number suggest that it is a small shank. I don't believe that the large shank actions were interduced till much later.

Last edited:
F serial number is prior to 2003 I . Not sure I can find how far back it goes, tends to be a pretty long run (G I know is 2003 to 2011 or so)

No good tighter dates on the Savages of modern era.

The rest is irrelevant as far as I know. All the marks on the barrel are probably just various inspection, quality confirmation stampings.

As noted, you need to know what kind of bolt you have.

It just my opinion that the safest setup if the modern push feed as gas control is much better. I am just doing my first one, nice to know that you have the best setup for a problem though I don't anticipate one, I like the better feeling when I pull the trigger (Switchgear rifles say do it with a string but that's not doable at a range)

Good luck with the build, I am doing a temporarily install on my 111 with a 308 bull. So far the biggest problem is getting the stock channel down to fit it.

I have a good setup with torque wrench, did the offset torque calculation adaptor etc to get the 3/8 inch torque wrench to fit the 1/2 inch hold in the tool, breaker bar for taking nut off.

It did take a bit of back and forth to get the headspace right, gauges are by far the best way and for sure if you are new to this.

A lot more movement than I thought there would be for small amount of turn(and my labels are going to be sideways, sight)

Just about there with the stock (the 30-06 is a bull as well so it will be good for that one when it gets here)

Savage Shooters forum has a lot of good information on this as well as barrel makers and how its gone.

I am partial to Accurate Barrel in LA and Apache in same area does the barrel work and all good reports. X-Caliber has good reports with no negative.

Criterion was very amendable and reasonable when a guy had an issue with only betting 3/4 MOA so that's another one (some barrel problems seem to crop up but with good customer service that's a key)

You have an "F" series 110,it should be a blind magazine-staggered feed-small shank barreled action.
Along with the new barrel,I'd suggest a thicker precision ground recoil lug,and a trued barrel nut. You will also need to change the bolt head out to a magnum bolt head,as well as change the blind magazine box and follower out to the magnum shell type.

TXHILLBILLY- Thank you so much for the ID. You hit the nail on the head with the description. Also thank you to everyone else who commented.
The reason for the 458WM is that its the biggest thing I can fit into the action. Numerich had some 458 barrels that are inexpensive so why not. Im not going to do anything else with this action. I am aware of the bolt face needs to be changed out and I expected some minor tweeking to the follower.
Why do I have top change out the blind mag box? OAL of 458wm is same as 30-06spg.
I have also considered some of the other larger bore -06 length mags. 358Norma, 375Ruger, etc....

The magazine box feed lips are different, as is the shape of the follower since your going to a belted magnum case.
I had to change them out on one of mine when I went from 300 WM to 6.5-06.

Back