Savage 110 .30-06 what ammo?

Ok so I bought a brand new savage 110fxp in 30-06 today at wally world for $300 with a scope. My main use for this rifle will be whitetails in north carolina so Ill be using somewhere between a 150gr and 180gr bullet. My question is what is the best 150gr to 180gr 30-06 factory round for the savage 110? Any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated.

Mine always liked plain old Remington Core-lokt. 150 gr. would be fine for deer, but check for accuracy. Otherwise try Winchester or Federal standard loads. One of these should give you everything you need without emptying your pocket. Take care. Larry P.S. You bought a darn good rifle, IMHO.

One of my roommates has that exact rifle. He shot winchester power points out of it with moa accuracy and it really knocked down the deer. I then loaded 168 CT Ballistic tips with 57 grains of H4350 and he shot half inch groups. These are the same bullets that are in the Winchester Supreme ammo. It's expensive but that rifle seems to like those molly coated bullets.

heres a link to both I described.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=144049&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=491672&t=11082005

wal-mart should have fair prices on both of those. I would also recommend getting a limb saver recoil pad. That light little 06 kicks the snot out of me.

good luck

You're really only going to get good advice on the bullet as it has to do with terminal performance. I like 150 to 180 gr bullets of the standard cup and core type for deer. I never thought the whiz bang expensive bullets were nessesary on deer.
Do your self a favor and try some Ingman Privi or wolf gold (same thing) 150's. My buddy gave me three boxes of the Privi when he sold his 06. I shot them at 100yrds just to bring a scope in close. Consistantly three shots touching. Also try the Federal power shoks, use the cheaper stuff first. Deer are not hard to kill, place the bullet right and you'll be fine.

I used the Remington CoreLokt 150 grain for years, but I have found that my Model 700 CDL and my old 742 both prefer the 165 grain ones.
Either one kills Eastern Deer pretty darn dead.

$300! Nice!
Mine likes whatever I put through it. I usually buy federal game shock or remington corelokt. 150grain to 180grain. But everything I have put through it has been acurate.

I'll throw another vote in for 150 gr. Corelokts. Many a whitetail has fallen to that laod from my Rem. 700 in .30-06. I've shot the 180's and all I really got was more recoil. Accuracy was about the same. I've also shot the 150 gr. Remington Premier Nosler Ballistic Tip (no longer offered by remington). Accuracy was a bit better but I had a bullet blow up with shallow penetration once and had to track a deer a VERY long way. I stick with the Core lokts now.

I hunt here in NC myself and last year used a Savage 110E in 30-06. You didn't go wrong with your choice of rifle, it should be reliable in every sense.
The answer to your ammo question can be only answered by you shooting the rifle enough to get to know what it shoots and what your wallet can afford. Just about any 30-06 projectile from 125 to 180 grain will kill white tails.
The place to put your money to improve on what you all ready have would be a better scope and recoil pad. I put a Nikon Buckmaster on my Savage and I like it a lot. I also put on a Pachmyr Decelerator pad and that makes it more comfortable to shoot. I assume you got the Accutrigger and so adjusting that is also no problem.
You're well armed for whatever crosses your path in this part of the country.

Tarheel

I have had the same rifle going on two seasons now and the 150gr Core-Lokts shoot the best out of mine. I haven't tried the Winchester Extremes though.

+1 on the scope.

I bought a Savage 9317 package that comes with the same scope you have on your .30-06 IIRC. It is a Simmons 3-9X40 8-Point? Has a little deer head emblem on the side?

Well I was shooting my .17HMR (much less recoil than the .30-06 :)) at the range a couple months ago and my crosshairs started twisting on me. After about 15 shots it was tilted at about a 20-30 degree angle. I upgraded the scope on that one and then traded it shortly after.

I also recently had my BSA on my Rem 700 in '06 fail. I replaced it with a Nikon Prostaff for 159.00. Best investment I've made to date. Spend a little to upgrade the scope and you'll be much happier with your rifle. Don't feel like you gotta spend 3-400 to do it though.

garryc is right. You don't need expensive premium bullets or ammo for deer. However, if you're not reloading, you'll have to try a box of as many brands of ammo as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. 150's will do, but the .30-06 loves 165 grain hunting bullets. A 165 will kill any game you care to hunt.

Back