Savage 110 30-06 Springfield

dschild

Hello all.
I just purchased my second rifle. I traded a bowflex for a Savage 110 30-06 Springfield. Just wanted to get some opinions and suggestions on it. It's at least 10 years old. The guy who had it purchased it new, but basically left it in storage. It has the Bushell scope on it. The barrel was pretty clean. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

It's a good solid rifle and will treat you well.
You're probably going to have to sight the scope in.
A recoil pad might be a good investment.
Before you shoot that thing clean it off and oil it up.

Thanks! first thing I did was clean it up. Seems like the 30-06 Springfield is pretty expensive ammo. Any suggestions where to get some range ammo on the cheap?

Well DS, 30-06 is about average priced for centerfire rifle ammunition. I shoot and reload for, with exception of 223 and 44mag, very expensive cartridges, 300WBY,340WBY, and 6.5x55. I have to reload to make shooting affordable, WBY ammo can go for $50-70 a box, so reloading was a no brainer for me, I have been reloading for centerfire since 1976. If you want to do any volume shooting you will either have to start reloading or suck it up and pay what Wally-World charges for 30-06 ammo. Buy three boxes of ammo and go shooting to decide if you want to shoot 30-06 in volume. If yes then you will have 60 pieces of brass to get you started. Reloading equipment isn't cheap , but is about the cost of six boxes of Weatherby ammo to get started. I can shoot all I want though, and can build cartridges that can't be purchased in any store. If you are going to use it for hunting only, then a couple of boxes of ammo could last you for years. I commonly shoot 300 rounds of 223 and 20 each on the WBY's and Swede, each visit to the range, but I've been shooting longer than I can remember and a visit to the range is my escape, so doing it my way is cheaper than golf. Good luck and good shootin.

handlerer2 gave you some great insight and info. I would disagree about the cost of starting reloading though. If you buy the higher end reloading equipment it can get expensive but you don't have to go that route at all to start reloading. You can buy all the equipment you need to start for about $150 minus the powder, brass and primers.

Is it better to have the higher end equipment in the long run yes/maybe? (I still want a progressive press!) Can you reload good quality, safe ammo with the starter kit? You bet!

Your Savage isn't likely much to look at, but it should be accurate and reliable. Give it a good cleaning and a little lube and hit the range. Any cheap (that's a relative term) ammo should do well.

Back