Savage 110 30-06 accuracy help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage Armed

Inactive
I have a Savage 110 30-06 that is about 2.5 moa. I have adjusted the trigger. I have put a Boyds stock on it and bedded the action. Barrel and tang are floated. Action screws are torqued. Scope bases and rings are torqued. I have tried two scopes. I have shot it both copper solvent clean and fouled. I even tried to lap the barrel crown with a brass crowning tool and a drill. It still shoots the same. I have shot Remington Core Lokt 150, 165, and 180. Winchester Power Point 165 and Hornady 165. Should I keep trying new ammo or is this as good as it gets?

How much has the rifle been fired? While Savage has a decent rep for accuracy, I had one that took 200+ rounds to get slicked up. I was using it for plain old trigger time shooting pulled (dead) tracers until it began to show improvement.

The other thing is (and I don't mean to be insulting) shooter error. The 30/06 has significant recoil which may be a challenge for some shooters. Just taking the recoil isn't the whole problem. How the recoil is attenuated makes a BIG difference in group size. Each round fired must meet the same resistance to the recoil by the shooter. Slightly different position or shoulder contact can expand groups.

I would look at ammo. I assume from the ammo you tried that you're looking for a hunting load, but I might try one box of Federal Gold Medal just to see if it shoots substantially better. If it does, that will tell you a lot about where the problem lies.

For testing purposes I would also put on a big 15+ power scope if you have access to one.

And I would definitely check to see if it's you by dry firing a lot between shots and watching what you see in the scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back