Savage 11 vs. Browning A-bolt III. Which is more reliable and durable?

bricz75

I noticed the two rifles costing the same amount after rebate. Which is more reliable and durable?

I know the Savage 11 a typical Savage, unlike the budget Axis series. If I'm not mistaken though, the Browning A-Bolt III falls into the budget category, but is one of the more upscale of budget rifles.

I own several Savages and a Browning A-Bolt. I cannot say that either appears flimsy in any way, but if I had to nit pick I would say the Savage two lug action is tougher then the smaller (extruded steel) three lug on the A-Bolt while the conventional trigger on the Browning has one less moving part then the Savage.
A few other things to consider.
Savages are MUCH easier to customize.
Browning makes a much better synthetic stock.
The Savage Accutrigger is better then best Browning has to offer.
The fit and finish on the Browning is clearly better.
All of my Savages shoot factory ammo better then my A-Bolt but the A-Bolt is every bit as accurate as any of the Savages with handloads.
The magazine in my Browning loads and feels much nicer then the Savages.
Handle both as see what you like better.

Savage 11 vs. Browning A-bolt III. Which is more reliable and durable?

Dang man... you will need 10,000 round torture test to show any real difference between them. I've never seen a hunting rifle worn out. Abused yes, worn out, no. I'd pick which ever one you feel more comfortable with.

Deaf

My only gripes with the Savages have been related to their synthetic stocks, the stock on my Model 10 270 WSM warped and is stuck that way, has not stopped it from shooting good though, and my 110 30-06 tore a chunk off the very soft recoil pad. No gripes with the Browning other then I absolutely have to handload for it because the best any factory load shoots around 5" at 100 yards, but Sierra Prohunter/H380 handloads shoot reliable cloverleafs and even pulled a bughole group at 100.

I own several Savages and a Browning A-Bolt. I cannot say that either appears flimsy in any way, but if I had to nit pick I would say the Savage two lug action is tougher then the smaller (extruded steel) three lug on the A-Bolt while the conventional trigger on the Browning has one less moving part then the Savage.
A few other things to consider.
Savages are MUCH easier to customize.
Browning makes a much better synthetic stock.
The Savage Accutrigger is better then best Browning has to offer.
The fit and finish on the Browning is clearly better.
All of my Savages shoot factory ammo better then my A-Bolt but the A-Bolt is every bit as accurate as any of the Savages with handloads.
The magazine in my Browning loads and feels much nicer then the Savages.
Handle both as see what you like better.

Thank you. This is just the kind of post I was hoping for. I'm a little surprised to hear the magazine and fit and finish is better on the Browning. If I'm not mistaken, the A-Bolt is their budget rifle. I'm wondering how much nicer their X-bolt model is.

As an aside, a couple of Weatherby rifles were tested by Gun Tests magazine in the same shootout review. The cheaper one actually beat the more expensive one.

You are welcome bricz75, and yes the X-Bolts really are that nice but make sure you like the feel of them first, they are a very rounded/slim design which feels very different in the hand then a traditional sporter like a Ruger 77 or Weatherby. I personally like a slim stock but I am not a large man.
Savage magazines are kind of their weak point, the external magazines are just marginal and their blind (internal) magazines are really bad, so much so that I never load mine unless I am hunting and I just drop feed them at the range. My A-Bolt II has my favorite magazine design which is the flip down detachable (sadly not on the A-Bolt III) Ruger and Browning's rotary mags take second place, a hinged floorplate blind mag like on my Winchester 70 are nice too.

Savage magazines are kind of their weak point, the external magazines are just marginal and their blind (internal) magazines are really bad.

I recall there is/was an aftermarket magazine(s) for Savage rifles. I haven't looked in a while, however.

Savage's Savage 10FCP-SR caught my attention but I read they made changes to the magazines that were not good.

I didn't know Savage's blind mags were bad. Reviews I read on the Savage Hog Hunter pointed to a good rifle for the money.

Oh I am sure it is, I don't regret my Savage rifles at all just saying their magazine is my second least favorite feature right behind their craptastical polymer stock. Now Savage does offer rifles with upgraded stocks too but the one that comes on their base 110 rifles is pretty bad. Savages are the most easy to customize rifles out there though you don't even need a gunsmith to re barrel them thanks to their barrel nut design, a concept that everybody else is stealing from Savage now.

I have no knowledge of the Browning, I do of the Savage.

What caliber are we talking about?

Savage is some and some, though all mine are Savage as I can and have modified each one.

First the Savage action is up there with solid or more so than anyone. Its an old design and its heavy, solid, good bolt and lock up. Equal to the best in that regard.

Magazines and feed have been an issue, I don't care, but I shoot single shot off the bench anyway. It is a factor, may require a bit of work.

You can't beat the acu trigger short of a $100+ after market trigger.

Savage Varmint types get you two big advantage, the heavy Varmint barrel and the Varmint version of the acu trigger that goes down to 1.5 lb set.

The best bargain out there is Cabell Only Savage 12FV that is often on sale for as low as $300 (Cabella's has rebates, Savage has them and you can combine them at times) .

I suspect a Browning will last several life times, if you want to change things, then the Savage is vastly better and it will last as long.

My most modified one has a 7.5 Swiss Loather Walther barrel, was converted bottom bolt release to top bolt release and sits in a Boyd's Thumb hole blind mag hole stock (with a filter block for a true single shot)

I don't know much about the browning.

Savage claim to fame is how they are assembled/engineered to save money and it's why they were always a budget option.

What that means to the end consumer is that they are truly the LEGO of the rifle world. If something ever does break or if you want to swap a part it is all very straight forward.
Furthermore, savage parts are readily available so you can stock a couple of GOOD spare extractors ( like from sss), ejector spring, or even a bolt head which is held in place with a pin.

If the barrel burns up you can screw on a new one with a vice, wrench, and go/no go gauge.

If you somehow bent or broke the bolt handle you can simply screw on a new one with an Allen wrench. Try that with a 700:D

I've only used Savage 11's in .308 and .223 and they are extremely accurate but I've also heard great things about Browning. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I can say that I've used Tula steel ammo 165 grain SP in my .308 and the accuracy was not as good as the American ammo but dang that stuff is cheap to buy!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Savage magazines. Their blind magazines, like the ones from every other manufacturer are as rugged and foolproof as it gets.

I'm not crazy about Savage rifles, there are some design features that I simply prefer on other brands. But there is no denying they shoot well, are reasonably priced and as rugged as any other Push Feed rifle.

A Controlled round feed bolt rifle has an edge when abused or filthy. But under "normal" use all of the bolt guns are pretty reliable.

Steel-cased ammo is low end stuff that isn't reloadable. Re-think using it.
Otherwise, a commercial hunting rifle is a commercial hunting rifle. Browning has been marketing on the name for years. Savage rifles are well known for being the most accurate out of the box.
An A-Bolt III runs $500 at Bass Pro with no sights. A Savage 11 Package runs $50 more with a Nikon scope. Depends on the actual model of 11. Toss a coin, but the Browning will end up being more when you scope it.

I've only used Savage 11's in .308 and .223 and they are extremely accurate but I've also heard great things about Browning. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I can say that I've used Tula steel ammo 165 grain SP in my .308 and the accuracy was not as good as the American ammo but dang that stuff is cheap to buy!

And the results are great in ballistic gel. Ready to go hunting with.

Any idea in the difference of 100 yard groups between the Tula and American ammo you've used?

@bricz75

And the results are great in ballistic gel. Ready to go hunting with.

Any idea in the difference of 100 yard groups between the Tula and American ammo you've used?

For hunting purposes I think you will be satisfied with Tula and 100 yard groups. If I remember correctly they also had an average chronograph fps spread that was a little wider than US ammo on average. At least they did on mine. The only weird thing I've seen out of a Tula vs US ammo is a flier every once in a while that makes you do a double take. I would not hesitate to use them for hunting if my gun shot them well.

The only weird thing I've seen out of a Tula vs US ammo is a flier every once in a while that makes you do a double take. I would not hesitate to use them for hunting if my gun shot them well.

I saw a Youtube video of a fellow using a measuring device to find which Tula rounds will be fliers. He puts those aside for plinking/practice and keeps the good ones for when accuracy is paramount.

Pretty hard to beat the $319 on the Cabella only 12FV Savage.

A bit heavy for hunting.

The Cabella 10T might work.

I don't know if that is on rebate right now.

Back