Savage 11/111 Hog Hunter

MrM4Guy

Inactive
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Savage 11/111 hog hunter? Is it drilled and tapped for a scope? Any info would be appreciated!

If it's like any other modern Savage centerfire rifle, it will be drilled and tapped. I don't know why Savage Arms would make a rifle today that couldn't be scoped.

The Hog Hunter is one of the newer specialty rifles, introduced before the SHOT show this year. It's basically a Model 11 with some upgrades. It has iron sights, which some folks want and it looks to have a threaded muzzle, in case someone wants to pay the license fees and hang a can on it. It's also got the Accutrigger and the Accustock, which some folks think are very desirable. Yes, it's drilled and tapped for a scope. It's got a medium contour 20" barrel and weighs 7.25 lbs. The list price is $513.00, which should make it very attractive to those folks who want the extras this rifle affords. If my experience with Savage rifles is any indication, the .308 model should be very accurate. I see that it's also chambered in .338 Win Mag, which would make for quite a handful, even at 8 lbs.

I just ordered one through my FFL.

... in .338 win mag. Woof!

Every time we checked the distributors they were out of stock but today they finally had a few in.

I'm all giddy waiting for it to arrive.

Update

Love this gun.
It's fairly short, moa accurate, and despite being a .338 winmag, the recoil isn't as bad as I thought. The recoil pad is super soft and soaks up a lot of the kick.
It'll still rattle your teeth a bit, but I've shot .30-06's that were worse.

The only downside is the price of ammo.

It's also got the Accutrigger and the Accustock, which some folks think are very desirable.

Accutrigger, yes. Accustock, no. It has the same plastic stock as the Stevens 200 with a blind mgazine. They list it at 7.25 lbs on their website, but it feels a lot heavier to me. The barrel is pretty heavy, not quite a bull barrel, but a lot heavier than a standard sporter. I haven't put one on a scale yet, but some Savage models I've weighed in the past were close to a full pound heavier than listed, others were right on the money. Go Figure.

I liked the idea when I first saw them on the website, but after handling one they are much heavier than I'd want for running around in thick brush chasing pigs. Even if the website is accurate it'd be over 8 lbs scoped. I've already got rifles that would do the same thing that are 6-7lbs scoped.

Back