Savage 11/111 .243

Rebel9793

Today I received a sales paper from my local basspro and see that they had a sale going on, on their Savage 11/111 rifles topped with a Nikon 3-9x40mm BDC reticle scope for $499 and it caught my interest. I was thinking of getting one chambered for .243, anyone have any information on this rifle? accuracy, function, etc?

Thanks, Rebel.

i have a model 11 .22-250 with the same scope on it. shoots great and is accurate. I like savages, if the gun fits you, go for it.

The Savage model 111 is a few stones up from an Axis. I own the 111 in 3006 and it functions flawlessly and is a sub moa shooter for sure. Put an nice scope on it and some sweet handloads and that .243 will be a treat to shoot.

hooligan1 said:
The Savage model 111 is a few stones up from an Axis. I own the 111 in 3006 and it functions flawlessly and is a sub moa shooter for sure. Put an nice scope on it and some sweet handloads and that .243 will be a treat to shoot.

x2 Throw a nice stock on an 11 and it's real nice. Can't do that with an Axis.

If the stocks are better now than they used to be, it'll be a decent rifle. I wound up replacing the stock on my .22-250 111, the one it came with was soft enough that action bedding screws just kept moving the plastic and would never stay tight. I stole it, so it was OK to do that but to buy one one new and have that issue would never be.

Watch the sales at Dick's. Around five weeks ago, Dicks was offering the Savage 11/111 with Nikon BDC package for $450.

Note that Savage recently changed the design of the 11/111 so that the bolt release is a nice machined button by the trigger guard, which is far nicer than the old stamped release on the port side of the receiver. Often when 11/111s go on sale they are the older models with the stamped release.

Back