Savage 10FP vs Savage 110 vs Savage 111

WeedWacker

What the bickering doodads is the difference? I saw a 111 in scope package for less than 400 (came with a sling) and the 10FP's are closer to 600 (from what I saw the 110's were similar to the 10FP) So if the actions are the same, barrels are the same, would it be a better idea to buy the 111 and glass bed and free float in an after market stock?

If you are hunting with it or just shooting, go with the package 110 or 111. The scope and rings in the package aren't very good, but the rifle is outstanding and very accurate right out of the box. You can certainly replace the stock glass bed it, but you might be happy with the way it shoots right now. I know I'm very happy with the accuracy of mine and wouldn't change a thing on it.

I am planning on a project precision rifle in .308 win (7.62x51) and was looking at a rem SPS or a savage. Intention is a low price setup to build up to a decent long range precision round (could double as a deer rifle but I already have 4 that fit that bill :o)

If you're planning a project rifle, buy a Stevens 200. You'll replace the trigger, stock and barrel anyone, and you can resell those. Or just buy an action only, lots of guys sell them. Even better...........buy used. Easy to find a bargain.

Lapua.JPG

Action with rail - $250
Used Shilen in 6.5X47 Lapua - $225 (included brass and dies)
B&C Medalist - $150

is that stevens a SA (short action)?

the problem here is that i cannot find any GOOD deals on barrels for mine... i like the stock and action, but i want a larger caliber than .223...

My favorite project so far has been my 30-06...
Savage 116SS action $360 (from Northlander at savageshooters.com)
McGowen SS Match 30-06 bbl, threaded and chambered $269 (also from Northlander)
B&C Duramaxx $115 (from Midway)
Total= $744

Savage3006pack2.jpg

Savage3006Group.jpg

3006Groups092908-1.jpg

The Stevens comes in long and short action, and in every caliber that Savages come in. And what do you consider a good deal on a barrel?

Wow, I need to finish load development on my 6.5, I've been outshot by a 30-06!!

DSCN0464(300x225).jpg

I actually sold my 6.5x47 stuff to fund the 30-06 project. At almost $1 a pop for brass, the Lapua just wasn't giving me the results I needed to justify that kind of price for components.

Less than $300 gets you a great Shilen, McGowen, Lothar Walther, etc. pre-fit barrel. Less than $200 gets you an A&B or ER Shaw (who supposedly makes the A&B barrels for Midway) barrel, probably not stainless. The A&B barrels are good, but usually not any better than the factory barrel.

I probably wouldn't have done the 6.5 Lapua if it wouldn't have come with so much brass.

kwells6...
You should be able to scrounge and find a slightly used or even new take-off Savage factory barrel for $200 or less. It is well worth joining savageshooters.com ($12) to get access to the member classifieds. Sporters are usually $30-$80, varmints go from $100-$200 when I look from time to time.

Back