Savage 10 FP-SR Question

Jess

Inactive
I recently puchased a new Savage 10 FP-SR from my local gunshop. Awesome rifle. I've taken it out twice, shot 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards with Federal Premium SMK's. Love it. The stock on the otherhand probably has a Rubbermade logo molded into it somewhere. Not entirely satisfied with it.
I decided to experament with the stock (considering it's a POS) and wanted to give it some color. I've read about guys spraying on some bedliner/undercoating spray on the exterior surfaces for texture prior to painting, so that's the route I went.
Long story short, the spray didn't dry, and now the stock's going in the garbage. No big deal, I'm buying a new one tonight. BUT, I do need to get the blind magazine out to go into the new stock.
I tried removing it before spraying the stock, but couldn't get it out. Wasn't a problem because I planned on masking off the entire inner surface of the stock anyways.
So does anyone know how to remove the blind magazine from the factory stock? I tried pulling it straight out by putting my finger underneath the feed lips, but had no luck.
Just to clarify, this is a centerfeed rifle with 4.4 inch action bolt spacing.
Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah.

On savage centerfeed actions, there is a spacer behind the magazine that hold the magazine into the stock. It's like a small metal clip that holds the magazine box in the stock. Pull that clip out and the magazine box will drop in your hand. I can't find a picture or a link, but that little clip is the key to getting the magazine box out of the stock. Look between the trigger opening and the magazine and you should see that little clip.

Thanks for the help. I actually got it out just a few hours ago. Gave it a little bit of prying with a screwdriver and it came right out. There's a little bur on the stock side that holds it in place.

Back