Saur 38H

ogama843

Inactive
Found this in grampa's closet. He's been dead for 20 years, and recently grandma let me go through his treasures. I am not looking to sell this, but would like an approximate value. I know it's a Nazi Police issue, It has the Eagle with an "N" under it stamped in several spots.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Value varies, dependent upon chambering.
Police markings add about 25% to the "book value".

It it's chambered for the usual police cartridge (7.65mm), aabout $500, +/-.

If it's chambered for the much rarer .380 (9mm Kurtz) or .22lr, the value can be up to 10x greater.

Eagle over N is the normal proof markings after April 1. 1940, there would be Eagle C or another single letter inspection mark for the police issue. With no other markings other than a Eagle N, it would be a commercial model.

Last edited:
Excellent discovery sir! I am a big fan of J.P. Sauer and Sohn firearms. PetaW is correct. It would probably go for around 500.

A friend of mine has one of those, and it shoots wonderfully. It may be pretty, but don't be afraid to take it to the range.:)

If you intend to do any serious shooting with that gun, it might behoove you to spend about $30.00 on a pair of epoxy reproduction grips. Some Sauer 38h's made circa mid WWII have grips that crack and break if you look at them cross-eyed. Apparently there was a pretty significant run of grips that were made with a defective compound and are extremely prone to breakage. Having given this caveat, it would make sense to spend the 30 bucks instead of trying to find an original pair at $100.00 plus.

Back