Sauer 38H? Info

Venom1956

hey all a friend of mine just brought me a small gun that I've found out to be a Sauer 38H in .32ACP It has white plastic grips only markings on the is SuS and on the slide CHL 7,65. He has one mag and a leather holster with mag pouch on the outside. Sadly it was roughing life under the seat of a old station wagon for god knows how long so it has a fair bit of rust spots and such. what would be the approximate value of this piece and or history.

I'd recommend posting pictures.

Does the gun have a serial number or a thumb safety on the slide? IIRC a number of 38H's were built from spare parts in the immediate postwar period for sale to occupying American GI's. Many of these pistols were mostly or completely unmarked.

The "CHL" is actually "CAL", short for "caliber", which is 7.65mm Browning, or what we call .32 ACP, and that is the ammunition that the gun takes.

The ivory grips are almost certainly plastic, put on in this country; I will almost bet you will find the name "Franzite" on the inside. The marking is S&S for "Sauer und Sohn" (Sauer and Son), which is what the original black grips had on them.

Unless it can be cleaned up, using oil and copper wool only, no wire wheel or emery cloth, value would be under $200. Cleaned up and with the holster, it might run twice that.

A better evaluation would depend on good pictures of both sides.

Jim

Back