Sauer 100 opinions

SCgman

If you have one how are you liking it. Hows th he recoil, trigger, and cycling function? Any tube length minimum for the scope one should consider?

No responses yet. I don't own a 100 but I do own a 202 Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag. It's the best rifle I own and extremely accurate. It has only ever seen my handloads. The 202 is a swap barrel gun and at one time I had a 300 Win Mag barrel for it in addition to the 7RM. Didn't care for the 300WM and sold it. Barrels are not cheap and most people just get another rifle.

Beautiful machine work, fit and finish are superb. Trigger is the best of all my 11 rifles.
Bolt has the tightest tolerance I've seen in a rifle. Stock ergonomics are first rate and for a relatively light weight magnum it is extremely manageable with follow up shots. I have no idea how the 100 compares to the 202 but if it is even close to the quality of the 202 don't pass it up.

No first hand experience, reviews online seem positive but I always take those with a grain of salt as you never know if those reviews are unbiased. The receiver does look a lot like a Sako/Tikka which are great as well. They sure are pricey, and for the money I’d probably buy a Sako or save a few bucks and get a Tikka.

I own a Sauer 100, wood stock & blued, chambered for the .222 Rem. The magazine is difficult to load. That's its only negative. It is one incredibly accurate rifle. It has a robust barrel. Its action is smoother than silk.

I'd give it a 9.9. I'd give it a 10 but for that dang magazine. The mag shouldn't be an issue with standard length cartridges; e.g., .308 Win/'06. It's also chambered for the .300 Win Mag.

I'd recommend buying one. I can't see how other rifles within the Sauer 100's price range will be able to compete. German engineering, production, and quality for under a grand makes it a very strong buy.

BTW, I believe Sauer has discontinued the .222 Rem from its product line. That's very sad. The Triple Deuce is one amazing cartridge.

I have a Sauer 100 in 9.3x62. Excellent fit and finish, smooth action. I find no issue with the mag in this caliber. Very good trigger out of the box. Recoil? Well, with this round it's substantial, but the stock fits well enough that it is not unpleasant. Accuracy? Five shot group with Norma 232 Oryx was 1" due to one flier; four were in one hole. Other bullets do 1 1/2" or better. I have not found an inaccurate load.

Thanks for the replies. Picking up a 100 in 7m-08 this week. I have a tikka t3 stainless and it's a sweet piece....

Hi SCgman,

You'll be very happy with your Sauer 100. 7MM-08 Rem is a phenomenal cartridge. It'll be a very sweet combo.

Hi ligonierbill,

The 9.3x62 is an extremely powerful cartridge, certainly suitable for all North American big game including the largest of bears. The 9.3x62 is an accurate cartridge, and if hand loaded, can be very flat shooting. It short, it's a superb cartridge. Great choice.

The .222 Rem mag that Sauer included with my rifle was obviously a modified .308 Win sized cartridge mag. There's a solid block of polymer at the back in order to accommodate the .222 Rem sized cartridge. I'm good with it. Had Sauer had to retool to make a .222 Rem sized mag, I'm sure that the rifle's price would have increased.

Chose the sauer 100 over the mauser 18 because I felt the bedding in the sauer was better. Also got to handle the mauser and was not that impressed with the bluing.....not for the $600 price anyway.

So I took receipt of a 7m-08 sauer 100 earlier this week..put an egw rail and a terra zeiss 3x9 on it in warne rings. Its gained some weight. Trigger breaks like a dream at 2.75 lbs. Raining like the great flood this weekend, but hope to start barrel break in Sunday. Owners manual took some getting use to....even translated the germans dont use our nomenclature......my stock is their shaft...my bolt is their chamber...my trigger is their action....anyway I managed to break the code while watching D Day specials.

I too have a Sig Sauer 202 Supreme. Really nice rifle with Bluing that betters Thompson Centers. Smooth as silk action. Its stock & forearm Wood. Overwhelming detailed & gorgeous. Superbly hand fitted tight. Basically the rifle is a Take/Down. Have a three barrel set for my use. 270 win_30-06 springfield_ & 25-06 Rem. At the time I bought my (2) additional barrels each barrel's cost from factory was 400.00 ($) Rifle itself was a shade over 1000.00 ($) even its 3 shot clips are expensive. 60 bucks each way back then. Being the rifle is so expensive. It sports a custom built Leupold Vari-X 3_3-10 power 40 dia Objective that is fully Adjustable out front for clairity. On this 202 rifle its outward appearance suggests the rifle shoots excellent. And it most certainly does with all three barrels. To be quite honest I haven't seen anything made here in the States that rivals the 202 appearance. Nothing.

Mornin' SureShot,

I agree. American craftsmen are the best in the world. However, extraneous constraints; e.g., lawyers and their chicanery (they "legally" steal what others produce), have placed onerous burdens upon our craftsmen to compete at competitive prices.

I used to own a Winchester/USRA Model 70 CRF. I was unimpressed. At best, it was a mediocre shooter. I sold it.

Sako just might be the best factory production rifle. My stock Sakos will shoot .25" @ a hundred or less. My opinion is the Sako AV action is superior to the Mauser 98. CRF is a marketing gimmick. I've never seen an original Remington Model 700 action fail to do anything but shoot very tiny groups.

I am so impressed with my Model 100 that I have an order in for a wooden stocked Sauer 101 .243 Win. They're back ordered. The price was too good to pass up for German engineering, manufacturing, and quality.

A less known attribute of German guns is Germany has the best steel in the world. Solingen, Germany produces steel with no close second. Sloingen Germany is known as the City of Blades. The world's best blades are engraved, "Solingen Steel".

Back