Saturday casting

Beagle333

It started out at 28° this morning, but it did finally get up to 40° and I was ready. I used 4 molds today and made quite a pile of bullets.

First up was a RCBS 270 mold that I had bought last summer. I think I'll like these. It does cast pretty easily, as do all RCBS molds. This is some 15bhn alloy.
11-15-14006_zps910edbe2.jpg

And also the Lyman 358627 heavyweight. I didn't have many in inventory and I sent half of mine off to NOE to set up a Group Buy on a hollow point version of these (coming very soon!) and gave the other half to some guy who wanted some samples... so I had to cast some more. This is HP alloy, so it might shroom a bit if I can get it into something hard enough to stop em.
11-15-14009_zps5daa30a4.jpg

And I used the 45 HP that I got back from Buckshot for the first time. It makes a really nice HP. These should shroom well, this is Mike/TX alloy.
11-15-14005_zpsfa86bf3d.jpg

And this is a 358439 HP that I won in an auction last week on castboolits.
It makes a nice HP too... also cast in Mike's alloy.
11-15-14011_zps97800889.jpg

Last edited:
I was going for the zombie look and sprayed some with Smoke's green and then sprayed lightly with HF red straight down from the top. They covered well during spraying and all had red noses, but it faded into the green when curing. I guess I should mebbe cure the green, then spray over with HF red and cure again. I'm not unhappy with the look but they were more red on top and not at all splotchy like now.

11-16-14002_zps1b1f3b51.jpg

I can hardly wait till you shoot some of that alloy into like 8-10 water filled jugs so I can see how well it works for you.....:D

I think your going to find something in the 850-1150fps range to work really well with it, and up to 1300, it just spreads out more.

Success!!!!

After testing today...... the answer is: Yes, it is better to bake them and then add the second color and bake again.
These definitely look better than the first. I am very pleased with this effect. :D

zombie002_zps95425eb9.jpg

zombie006_zps5bacbcf1.jpg

The 360627 (the bullet shown directly above) is now an active group buy on the NOE forum, if you were wanting one of these bullet molds. Lyman hasn't made the 358627 for some time, but NOE will be making some as soon as they get ten names. :)

I don't get anything from this.... 'just passing it along for the casters.
Mods can delete this post if inappropriate.

Link to Group Buy

Looking Good !!!

Beagle,
I don't cast for CF cartridges but always appreciate you pictures. You do excellent work. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back